We thought there were dems in the Senate who had principles and beliefs. We discovered otherwise.
Rush Limbaugh called them on it today:
On March the 8th, 20 days ago, Senator Ben Nelson, Nebraska, "I'm bothered by dates. I think you still have to go on conditions for staying." Dingy Harry got to him yesterday. He changed his mind.
On March the 12th Indiana Senator Evan Bayh wrote the following: "I, for example, am not in support of circling a date on the calendar and saying, 'No matter what, we're out on that date.'" But he changed his mind, with pressure being brought to bear by Dingy Harry.
Do you remember the old days back in November (or you don't have to go back that far, go back to last month) and the subject of timetables and withdrawing from Iraq was discussed? Last September, candidate Jim Webb said this: "Anyone who tells you we can set a timetable for withdrawal, doesn't understand war. Anybody who says that nothing can be done to speed a secure peace, doesn't understand America."
So how were Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi able to convince these men to change their minds about something so important as the welfare of our troops ... the welfare of our country?
Promises, promises, promises ... money, money, money.
A whopping $28 BILLION was spent to buy votes to pass the democrat cut-and-run plan:
* $25 million for a spinach farmer
* $24 million for funing sugar beets
* $3 million in funding for sugar cane in Hawaii
* $20 million for insect infestation damage reimbursements in NV, ID, and UT
* $2.1 billion for crop production losses
* $1.5 billion for livestock production losses
* $100 million for dairy production losses
* $13 million for ewe lamb replacement and retention
* $32 million for the livestock indemnity program
* $40 million for the Tree Assistance Program
* $6 million for ND flooded crop land
* $35 million for emergency conservation programs
* $50 million for the Emergency Watershed Program
* $115 million for the Conservation Security program
* $18 million for drought assistance in the upper Great Plains/Southwest
* $3.5 million dollars for guided tours of the Capitol
* $165.9 million for fisheries disaster relief funded through NOAA
* $425 million for education grants for rural areas
* $640 million for LIHEAP
* $25 million for asbestos abatement at the Capitol Power Plant
* $388.9 million for funding for backlog of DOT projects
* $22.8 million for geothermal research and development
* $500 million for wildfire management
* $13 million for mine safety technology research
* $31 million for a one-month extension of Milk Income Lost Contract Program
* $640 million for Low Income Energy Assistance
* $50 million for Fisheries Disaster Mitigation Fund
* $100 million for security at the presidential candidate nominating conventions
* $2 million for University of Vermont
* $6.4 million for the House of Representatives Salaries and Expenses Account^
^ President Bush said, "I don't even know what that is."
A minimum of 218 votes was necessary to pass the bill so the math works out to $130 million per vote. And the American people were concerned about the money Republicans were spending when in power? This should have them in a two-for-the-price-of-one hissy fit: one, the excessive spending of taxpayer money for pork projects nationwide, and two, withholding funds for the troops and demanding a timetable of March 2008 for withdrawal.
Now every terrorist around the world knows to just sit it out. The Congress and Senate just told them the troops will be pulled out in a year.
Rush said it well:
The president wanted to get this thing passed as soon as possible so that he could veto it, and then get going on it. But Dingy Harry said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait a minute. We're in no hurry here." Dingy Harry wants to delay the conference on this. The Senate and House have to get together and come up with a reconciliation of their two different bills, although they're pretty similar. Dingy Harry wants to put that off, I think, until after the Easter recess. The money is needed by April 15th. The signal this sends to our enemies is loud and clear. So here is your Democrat Party in action in front of the world for everyone to see. They have signed on to de-funding the troops. They have signed on to defeat and pulling us out of Iraq on March 31st of 2008, which will secure victory for the insurgency and the amalgamation of enemies currently in Iraq.
Excuse me ... but this is so stupid I can't even fathom it. Do these people not have any sense? What is happening to us as a Nation? The dems are telling the enemy our plans. The dems, in my opinion, committed treason with that vote.
America ... what did you do last November?