It's summer in the Shenandoah Valley with plenty to do so come on up and visit....
- The Cheese Shop: Located on Rt. 608 in Stuarts Draft, this bulk foods Mennonite-run shop offers hundreds of choices in fresh spices; bulk foods such as nuts, trail mix, oats and brans; deli meats and cheeses; snacks; gluten-free products; sugar-free products. Closed Sunday but open Mon-Fri 9:00 am-5:30 pm and Saturdays 9:00 am-5:00 pm. 2366 Tinkling Spring Rd, Stuarts Draft, VA 24477. Phone: (540) 337-4224.
- The Buckhorn Inn: Full service Bed & Breakfast located 12 miles west of Staunton. Stop by overnight or come for dinner. Buffet-style restaurant Thur-Sat 4-9:00 pm. Wireless internet available as well as satellite TV. Phone: (877) 337-8660.
Historic Downtown Staunton:
- American Shakekspeare Center: Spend an evening back in time in the Blackfriar Theatre in downtown Staunton or take one of the playhouse tours held Monday-Saturay. Check for play schedule. Phone: (877) MUCH ADO. I-81, exit 222 to downtown Staunton.
- Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center: Located downtown adjacent to the Blackfriar Theatre. Newly renovated to include wireless internet, adjacent parking deck, indoor pool and fitness center, dining. Phone: (540) 885-4848 or (866) 880-0024.
- P. Buckley Moss Museum: A beautiful brick building overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains houses the artist's works. Phone: (800) 343-8643.
Dayton (south of Harrisonburg):
- Dayton Farmers Market: Amish soft pretzels, handmade candies, gifts, furnishings, dining. Open Thur-Sat, 9:00 am-6:00 pm. Phone: 540-879-3801. 3105 John Wayland Hwy (Route 42), Dayton, VA 22821.
Shenandoah National Park:
- Shenandoah National Park Lodging: Offering accommodations and restaurants for visitors. Phone: (866) 776-4121. Email: Shenandoah@aramark.com.
- Shenandoah River Outfitters & Cabins offering rafting, canoeing, and kayaking as well as camping and log cabins. Phone: (800-6CANOE2).
- Green Valley Bookfair: June 27-July 12, 9:00 am-7:00 pm daily. Save 60%-90% off retail on thousands of books. I-81, exit 240; 2 miles east (just south of Harrisonburg). Phone: 800-385-0099.
- Massanutten Resort: Featuring year-round fun. Indoor-outdoor water park, golf, concerts, outdoor recreation, dining, condo rentals. Phone: (800) 207-MASS or (540) 289-9441.
- Monticello: Famous home of the third American President Thomas Jefferson. Historic, picturesque, American history. Phone: (434) 984-9822.
- Paramount Theater: Located in downtown Charlottesville. Offering shows, musicians, plays throughout the year. Check for schedule. Phone: (434) 979-1333.
- Stonewall Jackson House: A part of Virginia history, this historic house was the home of this Civil War leader. Guided tours of house and garden. Phone: (540) 463-2552.
- The Natural Bridge: One of the natural wonders of the world, Natural Bridge was once owned by Thomas Jefferson. Dining, lodging, tours. Phone: (800) 533-1410. I-81 to exits 175 & 180. Near Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Virginia Safari Park: 180-acre drive-thru adventure for the family. Hundeds of exotic animals roaming freely as you drive the three miles of winding roadway. Zebras, bison, elk, antelope, deer, ostriches, llamas, monkeys, kangaroos, giraffes, giant tortoises, flamingos, warthogs. Picnic area, petting zoo. Phone: (540) 291-3205.
- Mountain Lake: Beautiful turn-of-the-century stone hotel; cottages. Dining, canoeing, kayaking, paddleboating, volleyball, badminton, croquet, horseshoes, giant checkers or chess, bocce, tennis, archery, hiking, sauna, hot tubs. No TVs and, believe me, they are not needed! Sit in a rocker on the huge front porch or join in the many activities. Breakfast and dinner included. Phone: (800-828-0490).