Friday, June 28, 2013

Back in the homeschool classroom: A chance encounter

The Gulf of Mexico on the Florida Panhandle.

I ran into an old friend today while shopping at Martin's in Staunton ... a homeschool mom who joined our local homeschool organization while I was in leadership. It was good to see her and brought back memories of the years I educated my children at home.

We got caught up in that quick in-a-nutshell way that you do when running into someone you haven't seen in a while in a public place like the grocery store, and then she said something that kind of stopped me in my tracks.

"I read your blog."

"Really?" I was flattered.

I thanked her, and laughed about how I write about politics but then escape to the mountains or the back roads to take photos and enjoy the Shenandoah Valley. She smiled and nodded and said, "Your pictures of the beach...."

"Ah, the Gulf of Mexico," I said nodding my head. "I had not been there in years but the water was just as blue as I remembered."

She noted that it was beautiful and she had really enjoyed the pictures and it made her want to go to the beach. Yes, I told her, I had heard that from others, too.

The photos are my window on the world that I enjoy sharing with others, the neat nooks and crannies of the places where I ramble and make discoveries and spend time taking in the beauty of wherever I am. It has always been amazing that people write to say how much they enjoy seeing them.

It is equally amazing that a number of homeschool moms, some whom I've never met, read my blog. You would think they would have their hands full with required school reading so I consider it an honor that they take a few minutes out of their day to stop by SWAC Girl.

A while back, one mom wrote that she especially enjoyed when I ended my posts with, "It's summer (spring/winter/fall) in the Shenandoah Valley...." Now when I type that line, I think of her.

Our chance encounter today was once again a reminder that friends are priceless. And knowing that there are those who enjoy my blog is an honor. 

And, Leslie -- great seeing you today! May the rest of your homeschool journey be especially gratifying and successful, and hopefully it won't be so long before we meet up again....

-----
Lynn Mitchell educated her children at home for 16 years and was part of leadership in North Carolina's Iredell County Home Educators (ICHE) and Virginia's Parent Educators of Augusta County Homes (PEACH). Her son graduated from Harrisonburg's James Madison University (JMU) in 2007 with a BS in Computer Science and a minor in Creative Writing. Her daughter graduated from Staunton's Mary Baldwin College in 2012 with a BS in Sustainable Business and Marketing. Lynn and her husband live in Augusta County located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The story of how she began her homeschool journey can be found here.

Photo by Lynn R. Mitchell
Seacrest, Florida
May 2013

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Awwww, Lynn, I loved running into you, too! If the opportunity arises where we see each other at the grocery store again (and we both have extra minutes),I'll treat you to coffee at the little coffee shop, ok? I would love a longer "catching up" time. :)

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Sounds like a plan, Leslie. :)