Sunday, March 16, 2008

Highland Maple Festival Part 2 ... Monterey

I drove as many backroads as I could throughout Highland today rather than drive the main roads. I liked this road because of the split rail fence, the trees, and the snow-covered mountains in the background looking east.
Seldom Seen Road ... I am serious! That's the name of this backroad that has gorgeous views of the mountain ranges. I never met a backroad I didn't want to explore ... and one named "Seldom Seen" just begged for me to check it out....
I liked this little white church and cemetery with the mountains in the background. Can you imagine having huge windmills on those ridges? That is the controversy going on in Highland at this time.
Monterey main street, the hub of the Maple Festival. People were bundled up but out in droves as they shopped for crafts, listened to musical entertainment, shopped for antiques, and bought maple donuts.
The most well-known, original maple donuts are made by the Mill Gap Ruritan Club ... and the line is usually at least a 20-30 minutes wait but well worth it. When they are fresh out of the cooker, they are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. Since SWAC Daughter had been there yesterday, I didn't stop ... I have resisted the donuts this year.
Who would believe such delicious maple donuts could come from this little building? The line was short today when I was there.
Sheep are everywhere. They are one of the mainstays of Highland County and are part of its charm, far outnumbering people ... and this is lambing season.

No comments: