Friday, March 12, 2010

Back in the home school classroom ... home educated graduates

I received an email this week from one of our PEACH (Parent Educators of Augusta County Homes) home school alumni. She had helped me with local politics as a Teenage Republican (TAR), as a College Republican (CR), and she had participated with Generation Joshua, working Republican campaigns on the east coast even while in college.

She was excited because, after months of volunteering in a Republican congressman's office in DC, they had offered her a paying job. She was full of hope and adventure and ready for the future. I congratulated her, warned her to watch out for the sharks, wished her well in the future, and told her my door was always open if she needed anything.

She is the latest in a long line of home school alumni who are spreading their wings and entering the world in a variety of fields. I spent 10 years as the teen coordinator of PEACH so it is always a delight to hear from these young people who have grown and prospered as young adults. Many of them helped with local Republican campaigns over the years ... most registered and voted as soon as they were eligible ... and I feel all will be productive citizens.

As the PEACH Class of 2010 prepares to graduate, I have been invited to be the speaker at their senior banquet next week which will be a delight. There are twenty students and I am still friends with many in PEACH even though my youngest graduated from home school high school a few years ago. Home schooling ... it is still my #1 passion.

Mentor a young person ... they are our future. It will help them, and the rewards to yourself will be more than you ever expect.

No comments: