Saturday, March 06, 2010

Gov. Gilmore and me....

I hate having my picture taken but fellow blogger Tom White (Virginia Right!) snapped this one after Friday's Eric Cantor breakfast because I was talking with Gov. Jim Gilmore, someone I have respected and supported for years, and one of my favorite Republicans. (Photo has been removed.)

Tom sent the photo over and I was grateful to receive it. Gov. Jim Gilmore grew up in Henrico ... I grew up in Bon Air located across the river in Chesterfield. His life story is one of hard work, perseverence, strong work ethic, loyalty, dedication, and determination ... the American dream of working his way up the political ladder to become Governor of Virginia.

He is a U.S. Army veteran (counter-intelligence), headed up the Gilmore Commission on terrorism, has served on numerous commissions and boards, and has been a public servant for the people of Virginia and the country. Today he continues working around the state, is a blogger at Virginia Patriot, and is President/CEO of Free Congress Foundation.

Along the way, Jim Gilmore did not forget where he came from ... the son of blue collar parents ... and that brings me to a story that happened last August after the Republican Victory Dinner across the street from Friday's Eric Cantor event.

In August 2009, I had attended the RPV Victory Dinner at the downtown Marriott Hotel with my mom who is a volunteer with the Chesterfield Republican Committee. Afterwards, all the candidates for last fall's election had yard signs and other collateral available for those who needed them.

Since my parents use their home as a central distribution point for volunteers to pick up campaign yard signs, Mom wanted to pick up a few more McDonnell, Bolling, and Cuccinelli signs. I had a bunch tucked under my arm, and she had a bunch, and we started walking toward the parking deck behind the Marriott.

As we headed up the hallway to the door, behind us we heard someone say, "Do you need help?" It was Gov. and Mrs. Gilmore heading to their vehicle, also parked in the deck. Mom was kind of struggling with her signs and the Governor came right over, took them out of her hands, and together the four of us headed to my vehicle to unload the stash.

There was no one else in sight ... it was a random act of kindness by Gov. Gilmore who loaded the signs in my vehicle and closed the tailgate. We thanked him for his help but he waved it off as if it was nothing, and then he and Roxane said goodnight and headed to their car.

They say you can judge the character of man by the things he does when no one is looking....

Photo by Tom White
Virginia Right!
5 March 2010

No comments: