Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Christian Schoenewald running for 5th CD Chairman

Albemarle County Republican Committee's current chairman, Christian Schoenewald, has announced his candidacy for Chairman of the 5th District. On his website he talks about his interest in politics:
I have been interested in politics for most of my life. I remember as a kid living in Reston, Virginia, arguing with my friends about who should be President: Carter or Reagan. I'll let you guess which side I was on. I attended high school in Minnesota and joined the Speech & Debate Team because I liked to argue about current events and the policies of our government. I ultimately finished my education at American University. In my final six months at AU, I had the great honor to work for the Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget.

There was not one single event that got me to be politically active, nor a piece of legislation, a candidate or some event. All the way back to childhood I have been interested in how and why our country works. However after working at the White House I decided that the bureaucratic path was not the way to get 'less government' to happen. Thomas Jefferson has always popped up in my life, from being the kid in class who was assigned to do reports on him to turning on the TV and randomly seeing a show about him. So in 2003 when my wife, Rachel, and I moved to Charlottesville, I took it as a sign that it was time to really get involved in politics.

In 2005, I ran for the Board of Supervisors in the most liberal district in Albemarle County. Despite not winning, I took what I learned in the campaign and applied the lessons to being a part of local party leadership. I served two years as the Albemarle Committee Vice Chairman. In 2007 I was elected to serve as one of the 5th District Vice Chairmen, a position I hold still. During the last two years I have also served as the Chairman of the Albemarle County Republican Committee. During my time as chairman, Albemarle has once again become a "Red" county, taking the majority on our Board of Supervisors and voting for Bob McDonnell for Governor.
Check out Christian's website for more information.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Should be interesting to see how he and Bill Stanley approach this race.