Friday, February 05, 2010

Virginia blogosphere snow roundup

When it comes to snow, politics goes out the window. I enjoy reading posts from all the Virginia bloggers and seeing their photos of snow amounts and what they have done to make it through the storm.

Bloggers sharing snow experiences
Today two political message boards that I belong to are on fire with bloggers sharing experiences from this latest round of winter. Some have been scary (skidding cars), some have been hilarious, and other have been informational as they shared news about which stores were out of what and where to find it.

One fellow blogger, who is a college student, made me laugh out loud as he wrote a response to the question everyone was asked -- "So, how's everyone with the snow?"
As I'm lying here in my bed half asleep (yeah... It's college). It's hard to actually see how much accumulation has occurred because we already started with 6 inches on the ground. The upper prediction for us here is around 28 inches, so just an inch or two more than the first snow.

What I'm worried about is Tuesday where I've heard some predict an additional foot.

Harris Teeter was a complete nightmare and ran out of bread. Though they did have plenty of beer, so I wasn't following the lack of bread panic. Lowe's sold out of shovels in 30 minutes yesterday morning. Walmart was cleared out and basically people are already going insane.

Me? I plan on sitting on my couch drinking my Shiner Bock and watching the Super Bowl. I love snow. Go Colts!

More serious updates when I get out of bed ... around 1:30. Did I mention I love college?
Another blogger added even more humor when she wrote:
I went grocery shopping last night at the Super Target in Manassas around 10 p.m. Basically, there were two fights. One over milk and the other over the last 12 pack of Miller Lite. The latter fight was the best one, as it was two burly guys beating each other while their girlfriends were laughing at their stupidity. I just got what I needed and waited for an hour to checkout.
A general thread was grocery stores were out of carts and bread. Is everyone eating sandwiches through this storm? Not this NoVa blogger who had everyone drooling as he shared his weekend menu:
I got fillet mignon for tonight, prime rib for tomorrow night, eggs, bacon, cheese, lunch fixins ... 2 large boxes of wine, champagne for mimosas, vodka, beer ... lots of movies....
Just about the entire message board decided then and there they were heading to his house for the weekend!

Global warming
A friend in Rockingham emailed, "I am glad we are experiencing Global Warming Climate Change ... if not, we would be getting 75 inches of snow."

SWAC bloggers
I've been corresponding with the SWAC bloggers today who have been busy preparing for the storm and are now watching the snow accumulate at the rate of an inch an hour.

I emailed a virtual palm tree and beach sand to Mike who sounds as if he is tired of the snow and has declared this to be the Superbowl Super Storm. He has stayed on top of the wintry situation while counting the school snow days, speculating about the stimulus and this year's winter, and watching the grocery store fill with anxious shoppers.

Bob has a photo of deer tracks while teasing about Augusta Al not seeing his shadow on Groundhog Day. David is at work as an RN at the hospital so no blogs from him ... Jason said he may do a podcast about the weather. No word from Phil ... maybe he fell in a snow bank.
-----
Update 7:00 pm: The SWAC bloggers are posting snow updates ... Bob has snow photos ... David commented on the local snow preparations. Phil was shoveling snow today but the white stuff kept coming down ... he has photos of the falling snow. Mike says the snow plow has already been through his neighborhood, something we noticed here, too. They must have decided to be more aggressive after the December two-foot snowstorm.
-----
Other bloggers
How about Michael's post at The Write Side of My Brain of a photo of the Christmas 2009 Global Warming Blizzard? Jerry sits high atop his mountain and opines, "As the snow falls ... again." Riley at Virginia Virtucon invites bloggers to name the storm. Kat has driving-in-the-snow video.

Snow-related posts on BlogNetNews/Virginia:
- Pilot on Politics: Working on a snow day
- Below the Beltway: Snowpocalypse 2010 approaches
- Anti-BVBL: Potentially historic monster storm bears down on the Washington area
- Coarse Cracked Corn: Salt Risin'
- Blue Virginia: Time for snowpocalypse
- VirginiaDem: Inclement weather causes General Assembly to cancel meetings

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was shoveling and took a few pics. They are up now

Kat said...

Ooooo! Snow is great! (Sometimes, LOL)

Here's my YouTube video (sorry about the crappy sound) about my experiences today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMQSvwkMJs

;-)

Thank God I got home safely!