Friday, October 12, 2007

Jim Gilmore praised by Times-Dispatch

In August I had the opportunity to sit down with Governor Jim Gilmore as he met with grassroots leaders throughout the state. In a one-on-one talk at Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant in Staunton, we discussed various aspects of his future run for political office, and he listened to my concerns as a volunteer interested in advancing conservative leaders and principles. His name is one of several being touted as contenders to retiring John Warner's U.S. Senate seat.

One of the things that impressed me about Governor Gilmore was his 9/11 experience because national security is my number one issue. In today's Richmond Times-Dispatch , they spotlight his experience and leadership abilities that far outweigh Mark Warner including 9/11.

In an editorial titled "Throw-Weight," the TD rightly points out:
Regarding questions of war and peace, Gilmore boasts unusually strong credentials for a politician who has not held federal office. They certainly outpoint Mark Warner's record, which, to be precise, is non-existent. Gilmore served as chairman of the Advisory Panel to Assess the Capabilities for Domestic Response to Terrorism Involving Weapons of Mass Destruction -- often known as the Gilmore Commission. The panel was created in 1999 and was one of the few efforts to win post-9/11 praise for its pre-9/11 record. Indeed, Congress itself did not perform particularly well prior to the attacks. With but a handful of exceptions, its members did not lead -- they did not even try to.
Gilmore's 9/11 experience is not all that impressed me. His campaign on "No Car Tax" won many voters although it earned him the scorn of many in the legislature and tax commissioners at the local level. I still appreciate not having to write that huge check and I told him that when we talked. I like his straight-forward leadership, his determination, and his willingness to listen.

Apparently Walter Curt in Harrisonburg also liked what he heard because he stroked a check for $50,000.

Governor Gilmore and I discussed convention versus primary, and I gave my reasons for wanting a convention: party building, Republicans only can vote, Republican pep rally to energize the grassroots. I am tired of dragging around petitions to gather hundreds of signatures and work hard for my Republican candidate only to have Democrats cross over into Republican primaries when they have done none of the work and are there to skew the results. Gilmore said that, though he has done well in primaries in the past, he would be willing to consider having a convention.

I cannot give $50,000 to a candidate ... but if I like what I see I will give time, energy, and something money cannot buy -- loyalty.

No comments: