Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Crabtree Falls, the national forests, and safety

I posted about the March 22 tragedy at Crabtree Falls when a 26-year-old University of Richmond law student fell to his death after slipping on the falls. Warning signs were posted of the danger as well as fences in place between the trail and the rocks.

How safe do we want to make the national forests? Do we want a playpen for outdoor enthusiasts ... or do we want personal responsibility to be the rule of thumb for anyone enjoying our natural resources?

Someone commented to the post and I responded. It opens the discussion of safety and personal responsibility.

The commenter said:
I would not call that a "SAFETY WALL" by ANY means.
I responded:
Whatever you may call it the fact remains that it is a barrier between the trail and the falls. With plenty of signs warning of the danger, and with fences in place, it is obvious the falls are dangerous and should be avoided.

I have hiked that trail. I have been to the falls. The very fact they tell how many have died is enough deterrent for me ... I'm not a gambler and especially not with my life.

My prayers go to this young man's family but the fact remains ... he was 26 years old, a law student, and he chose to ignore the signs and the fence and take his chances. It's sad.

The national forests are wild areas that are not safe. We enter at our own risk, and our own behavior may determine if we return safely.

I've spent my entire life in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains hiking and camping. I am responsible for my choices and I try to respect the national forest and behave responsibly both toward it and myself.

"Safety" wall or not, I would never climb onto those rocks at Crabtree Falls. It is too dangerous as proven by 25 deaths over the years.
What do others think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, SWAC Girl.

There is no way to prevent stupidity or arrogance from causing someone to put themselves in a position from which they may not survive.

There is also no foolproof way to protect someone from their own folly.

If you want to play close to the edge you better know what you're doing. If you screw up there is absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

As someone who has lived on the edge many times in my youth I am still amazed that I survived to this age. But if I hadn't it would have been no one's fault but my own.

Dan

Dirk van Assendelft said...

It is VERY obvious that climbing out onto the waterfall can result in your death. End of story.

I hope this latest accident will not cause changes to Crab Tree Falls.....but I can just imagine ugly chainlink fences to protect people from themselves.

See, I don't always disagree with you ;)

Anonymous said...

I challenge all of you to turn your sword of arrogance on yourself. This individual was a selfless level-headed, loving person with a devoted wife and family. He was not a risk taker or careless and he grew up with a healthy respect for nature. Hundreds of people cross that safety barrier each year and every 18 months on average another person dies. Additionally, many dogs unleashed on hikes at Crabtree meet the same fate. That is the "siren" of the falls as they say. The large outcropping beyond the low stone wall looks safe and flat. There are pictures littering the web of unsuspecting campers standing there with goofy grins and a thumbs up. Do not assume that you would not make the same error in judgment. The fact that an intelligent, well educated balanced individual can perish this way means ANYONE is susceptible.