Wednesday, November 04, 2009

It's morning in Virginia....


~"Landslide Bob" truly becomes "Landslide Bob"~

My favorite all-time political ad was Ronald Reagan's "Morning in America." It offered hope for a better America ... it was positive ... it made me feel good about my country and the future.

Today a similar ad could be running in the Commonwealth ... "It's morning in Virginia" ... for all the same reasons.

Ironic, isn't it? Four years ago Bob McDonnell and Creigh Deeds ran against each other for the position of Virginia Attorney General. The election was so close that a recount occurred in December and Mr. McDonnell pulled it out by 300+ votes. Thus began his own running joke of calling himself "Landslide Bob." It always brought a laugh whenever he was at Republican events, and everyone appreciated the fact he could make light of himself in that way.

There was no way of knowing that same attitude would help four years later when Bob McDonnell again went head-to-head with Creigh Deeds, this time for the top spot of Governor. While Deeds and his campaign went on personal attacks, McDonnell stayed on the issues of the day: economy, jobs, and bettering life for Virginians.

The result? An amazing 18-point win by Mr. McDonnell, leading the second-ever Republican sweep of the top three offices.

Now that's what I call a landslide.

Congratulations, Governor-elect Bob McDonnell. (I smile as I write that ... it sounds nice.)

Congratulations also to newly reelected Lt. Governor Bill Bolling who has been described by a fellow blogger as the unsung hero of this election. By taking one for the team and setting aside his dreams of governor (temporarily), the Republican Party was able to avoid a bloody fight that was sure to leave everyone badly battered. My hat's off to him and we thank him ... and I'm ready to start counting the days until gubernatorial Election 2013....

Also congratulations to Attorney General-elect Ken Cuccinelli and his broom! Conservatives and home schoolers got behind his candidacy to show other Virginians that he was the leader we needed. The Gadsden flag became the symbol of his campaign ... it was embraced by Constitution-loving, limited-government believing voters of the Commonwealth who decided Mr. Cuccinelli was a needed addition to the Republican team.

And so the business of governing begins in difficult financial times. After eight years of Democrats holding the keys to the Governor's Mansion, there is much to be done. I have confidence in this team. I have confidence in my fellow Virginians. And I have confidence in America because, in my mind, it's morning in Virginia.

3 comments:

Bob K. said...

It's morning in Virginia and Virginia is open for business!

I probably ticked off some of my liberal clients with my email to that effect this morning.

The pictures are great! The sun shines in Virginia. Is anyone going to the rally in DC tomorrow?

Isophorone said...

After a close race, rematches are rarely that close.

Dontcha feel good today? The fun part is that I get to vote again (probably twice) in the near future!

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

It feels great, Ron ... "morning in Virginia." Now the work has to be done ... and, hopefully, those rest areas will be reopened!