Thursday, December 17, 2009

"No censure" for Bob at The Journey

Washington, D.C. - Citizens protest government health care bill.
Photo provided by Connie Haggard


Standing in Sen. Mark Warner's office listening to staffers who "have been on Capitol Hill for 20 years" and think they know what is best for American citizens, Bob at The Journey found himself with his own personal "Joe Wilson" moment:
The older staffer, when asked why some simple concerns such as tort reform and competition couldn't be dealt with in single pieces of legislation began to wax eloquent on why we have to do this whole thing NOW!!! The staffer was talking Democrat talking points... the citizen had a good point. Fix things one at a time, simple things first. That's how my Dad taught me.

But the older staffer said "I've been in Washington over twenty years!" he was the one with the experience so we'd better just listen to him. "We've got to do all of this, all at once!" he reiterated. "It [reform] can't be done if we do it piecemeal..."

I didn't really mean to but I found myself saying out loud: "If the car needs a tune up, you don't pull the engine!" I was asked to be quiet but I found myself understanding Joe Wilson a little better. I hereby submit myself to my fellow bloggers for censure [that's what happened to Wilson, right?]
No censure from this blogger ... and after years of hearing Democrats shouting down Republicans and calling them rude names, I understood Joe Wilson's frustration. I also understand Bob's frustration.

To those who profess to wanting civility, saying no one can speak out or up without being gaveled back into submission, I would suggest, "Read your history!" The making of a republic was not necessarily a pretty process as tempers flared and fists banged on desks.

I couldn't make the trip to D.C. on Tuesday so am thankful to those who stood up for the ones who could not go. That includes Bob who wrote:
... it is sad that public servants forget the public they are elected to serve.
No socialized health care ... please call our senators and sign the petition.

5 comments:

Jason Bibeau said...

Thank you SWAC Girl for stating the obvious. People are so quick to forget that the founding of this country was not some tea and cumbiya moment. I agree that a degree of civility is warranted in most things, however sometimes the PC client simply get out of control.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Hear, hear!

Bob K. said...

Anyhow, I wouldn't go to Mark Warner for an Oil Change!!!

A concerned citizen said...

Unfortunately I did not take the picture but found it on the computer and passed it along. But I was one of those there that day and was proud to be a part of that group and movement. Thanks to all who participate in these events and hopefully we will make a difference.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

I will make a correction on the photo. Thank you for representing those of us who could not make the journey to D.C. on Tuesday because it shows Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats that we are not going away.