Friday, October 29, 2010

Oprah's partisan slip is showing (again)

Recently I did something I haven't done in years. While channel surfing, I came across Susan Boyle on the TV screen singing and I paused to listen to her magical voice. Then Oprah's voice-over told that Susan was a guest on the show. Uh-oh. I had been pulled in to watch Oprah after years of just saying no.

Oprah used to be on my regular play list when I was much younger. I have no reason to think she's not a nice person, and she has certainly been generous with her money. The disconnect began when she got more and more into discovering her inner self, having guests who were there to tell how they had discovered their inner selves or how the viewers could discover their inner selves, and on and on for show after show.

That was when Oprah and I parted ways which was long before the days when she openly campaigned for Barack Obama. Her demeanor -- her bias -- between liberal and conservative guests seemed to be noticeable even though she never outwardly did anything to be rude to the guests she disagreed with politically.

As I watched the show, listening to Susan Boyle sing and then the adorable and gifted 10-year-old opera singing sensation Jackie Evancho from "America's Got Talent" followed by 1970s "You Light Up My Life" singer Debby Boone, I had a warm fuzzy feeling about Oprah's show.

Should have known better than to let my guard down. Near the end of the show, Oprah appeared live by video feed on Jon Stewart's show to tell him she was in total support of his upcoming "Restore Sanity" rally to be held on the National Mall in Washington, DC, on October 30. As they laughed and talked about the rally, it sounded like it was supposed to be something of an anti-Glenn Beck "Restore Honor" rally.

Oprah was almost giddy as she told Jon that someone from her show had slipped into his studio earlier that day before anyone arrived for the show. Then with great drama and fanfare, she told everyone in Jon Stewart's audience to look under their seats. Squeals of delight could be heard as red envelopes appeared containing airplane tickets inside along with overnight accommodations for two nights in Washington, DC. She was sending the entire audience to the "Restore Sanity" rally.

Oprah's partisan slip is showing again ... but I won't be around to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It figures that Oprah would do something so slimey. I've never been of fan of Oprah and will NEVER be a fan of her's. I recently published a book and was told that if I really wanted some exposure for the book to send it to Oprah and let her give it props. I simply smiled and shrugged my shook my head no as I stated, "I'd rather die broke and have never sold ONE book, rather than get that woman to mention its title.

As for John Stewart's rally, it's just a way for him to get more exposure to his failing "fake" news show. Oprah knows that he'll never get the people there that Glenn Beck had, which is why she did what she did.

Would anyone believe that George Soros and Oprah were engaged to be married if I started that rumor?

Great Blog, Lynn!