Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Dave Rexrode ... JMU political science grad guides Virginia GOP

Republican Party of Virginia Executive Director David Rexrode (JMU '01 - left)
with Virginia Democratic Party Executive Director David Mills (JMU '02 - right).
Photo from "Madison" magazine.


Every time I think of Dave Rexrode, I remember us sitting in the rocking chairs on my front porch in Augusta County during the summer of 2001 when he was freshly graduated from James Madison University and working as campaign manager for Staunton's Chris Saxman. Saxman went on to win that campaign for delegate of the newly-created 20th House District. I was a volunteer on the campaign and talked politics with Dave. I remember telling him how much fun it was to talk with the political science majors who were young people working various campaigns because they liked to talk politics. At the time, there weren't many people around me who were political junkies like myself.

Who knew Dave would eventually become Executive Director of the Republican Party of Virginia? Who knew I would eventually become a member of the RPV State Central Committee, seeing Dave at RPV events on a regular basis?

Dave had been active with the JMU Republicans before his graduation. At the time in 2001, I had no idea my own son would eventually earn a computer science degree six years later from Mr. Madison's university in Harrisonburg. As a result, Madison, JMU's quarterly magazine, arrived in the mail this week and there was an article about Dave and his Democratic Party counterpart David Mills (JMU Class of '02).

It's a good read. Check it out online and see the talent coming up the political ranks....

No comments: