Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Snow in Bath County

Snowy back roads of Bath County, Virginia ... Wednesday, March 9, 2011.

A friend went fishing in Bath County this morning and ended up heading back to Augusta County because of heavy snowfall. While we had some snow and sleet earlier in the day in this part of the Valley, it turned to all rain by mid-day. The snowy photo shows how unexpectedly the weather can turn in the higher elevations west of here. From my friend:
Lynn,

I thought you might like this story. I left home at 6AM this morning to try some trout fishing in bath County on the Jackson River. It was cloudy but not raining until I got to Goshen where it started sprinkling a little and it stayed that way all the rest of the way. I started fishing about 7:30, had no luck, so I decided to just move around and try different spots on the river.

About 10:30 it started to snow very heavy, large flakes. I was standing in the river re-baiting my hook and when I looked up all I could see was white. I very quickly decided I had better leave NOW! It took me about 30-45 minutes to change out of my waders and wet clothes and get to the main road Rte 220 where I took the attached picture, that is Rt. 220 headed south in the picture. Quite a ride from there to Millboro but after that it was OK. I don't think I have ever seen snow accumulate that fast.

To make matters worse I didn't catch one stinkin' trout. Oh, by the way, there was no snow on the ground when this started, just wet.

Larry
Photo by Larry Tillett

No comments: