Saturday, March 03, 2012

Life on Silver Lake

While in Rockingham County today, SWAC Husband and I picked up lunch at the Dayton Farmers Market and took it to the shores of Silver Lake outside Dayton. As we sat in our car eating and watching mallards and a swan swimming on the lake, an Amish buggy came into sight on the opposite side. This area is populated by many Old Order Mennonites.

The sunny day was not as warm as it looked because there was a stiff breeze coming across the lake but the sky was blue and the rural scenery was idyllic.


Suddenly we saw what looked like a piece of wood in the water except it was propelling itself toward us. When it got closer, we realized it was a muskrat. For some reason the Captain & Tennille song  "Muskrat Love," came to mind ...

... and as I watched this gorgeous swan glide effortlessly around the lake, I kept hearing Barbra Streisland's voice in my head: "A sw-an is a sw-an is a sw-an" from the Swan Lake scene in the movie Funny Girl. It was peaceful to watch life today on Silver Lake.

Photos by Lynn R. Mitchell
3 March 2012

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Do you know how much I love your blog? It is through your sharing that my husband and I discover all kinds of wonderful places to visit with our eight (soon to be nine) children. Having moved here a little under 2 years ago, your insights into the local little-known (to us, at least) hot spots are wonderful! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Thank you, Rachel. I moved to the Shenandoah Valley 16 years ago (originally from Chesterfield outside Richmond) and I'm still discovering and revisiting all the beautiful places. Since I started blogging in 2006, I've enjoyed sharing the photos of those special mountain vistas and hidden coves and historical sites. I chalk it up to 16 years of educating my children at home and all the field trips we took ... after they graduated, I continued traveling the back roads and ridges of this place I call home.

Best wishes with your new little one and the adventures of motherhood and thank you again for the kind words.