The Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates had reason to be proud today as he announced that the Virginia State Capitol has been chosen by the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) at the top of 10 influential buildings that changed America in the way we live, work, and play. Of course, we Virginians already knew that the architecturally appealing, historic capitol building that echoes with the footsteps of Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, James Madison, and James Monroe played a big part in the birth of America.
Speaker Howell said it best:
"Virginia's beautiful and historic State Capitol is a source of true pride for all Virginians. The Capitol is an architectural masterpiece, historical treasure and monument to Democracy. Its design has inspired numerous other capitol buildings, including the United States Capitol in Washington D.C. Its history and traditions are rivaled by few other single buildings in America. It is the foundation for modern Democracy and an enduring sign of the strength of our Commonwealth and our nation."The one-hour show will air next Sunday, May 12, at 10 p.m. EST.
Virginia actually ended up with two buildings in the Top 10 list with the inclusion of Dulles Airport in Chantilly, Virginia.
The list of the Top 10 buildings that changed America:
1. Virginia State Capitol, Richmond, Virginia
2. Trinity Church, Boston, Massachusetts
3. Wainwright Building, St. Louis, Missouri
4. Robie House, Chicago, Illinois
5. Highland Park Ford Plant, Highland Park, Michigan
6. Southdale Center, Edina, Minnesota
7. Seagram Building, New York City
8. Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Virginia
9. Vana Venturi House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, California
The program is hosted by Geoffrey Baer, an Emmy Award-winning producer and program host, best known for his popular feature-length specials about Chicago architecture and history. The program is written and produced by Dan Protess, who has been creating critically-acclaimed television programs for WTTW in Chicago for more than a decade.