Youth and Apprentice Deer Hunting Day
- Resident and nonresident youth hunters 15 years of age and under and holders of a valid apprentice hunting license, when in compliance with all applicable laws and licenses, may hunt when accompanied and directly supervised by an adult who has a valid Virginia hunting license or is exempt from purchasing a hunting license. Nonresident youth of any age need to have the appropriate licenses.
- Deer of either sex may be taken.
- Antlerless deer taken on the youth and apprentice deer hunting day are in addition to an antlerless deer taken under the youth antlerless deer regulation and on either-sex deer hunting days.
- Deer harvested by youth or apprentice hunters count against their daily and season bag limit.
- Blaze orange requirements and exceptions for firearms deer season are in effect (see General Hunting Regulations).
- Deer hunting with dogs is prohibited, except that tracking dogs are allowed (see Hunting with Dogs).
- Adult hunters accompanying youth or apprentice deer hunters:
- do not need a bear, deer, turkey license.
- shall not carry or discharge a firearm.
- shall maintain close visual and verbal contact with and provide adequate direction to the youth or apprentice hunter.