Thursday, October 03, 2013

News Virginian LTE: 'Congress needs to adjust its priorities'

News Virginian Letter to Editor
October 3, 2013

This is disgusting. So the government is shut down. I can’t even take a trip to Shenandoah National Park. But at the same time, members of Congress still get paid. How does that make any sense? Why should a Congressional staffer still collect his $90,000 paycheck when the park ranger making $30,000 just got furloughed? As usual, it’s a case of both parties looking out for their own self interest.

I agree with Wednesday’s editorial, Congress does need to adjust its priorities. Unfortunately, they won’t. You and I both know it. I’m a Republican, but even I can see the Democrats in the Senate won’t defund Obamacare. So why are we screwing over people to “fight” for something that’s never going to happen? I’ll tell you why. It’s so these Republicans in Congress can come back to all of us and say well, we gave it our best shot. We failed, but at least we tried.

No, they didn’t try. If you know the answer to something is going to be no, why ask the question? Instead of shutting down government, why not work toward a compromise? I teach my kids that they may not get everything they want. Sometimes they have to be the bigger person and work things out with someone. It’s time for Congress to do the same.

Greg Miller
Waynesboro

No comments: