Saturday, February 09, 2013

It's February 9th ... time for another trip around the sun



Okay, all you Parrotheads ... it's time for another Trip Around the Sun!

While many may be dreaming of palm trees and beach sand, I'm wondering where my annual order of snow has gone. We had a few flurries and slight accumulation yesterday -- all gone today -- but for a winter that has seen mostly light dustings of the white stuff, there may as well be sand out there.

I may be disappointed on the snow front this year but I'm truly blessed and a rich person when it comes to friends and family. Thanks for all the birthday greetings on Facebook and in person and just remember ... my birthday counting is going backwards these days!

I share a birthday with some very interesting people including two classmates from high school -- ladies who shared those crazy youthful days, fellow blogger and financial wizard Jim Bacon (who's looking good for such an old man ... ducking!), another childhood friend from our days as little kids, and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe's birthday is today, too. 

Though there may be no snow this year, I still remember my most perfect birthday the year I turned 27 and spent the weekend at Wintergreen where my then-boyfriend/now-husband and I skied with friends as the snow gently fell all day. We celebrated at the end of the day with a cake that had a pile of snow (icing) in the middle with two red skis stuck in the snow bank, and grilled steaks on the deck as the snow continued to fall. It was a memorable day I will never forget and, for this winter baby, it was the perfect birthday.

As the sign in Tappahannock's Lowery's Restaurant said, "Never regret growing older. Just think of the alternative." Enjoy your day!

Photos by Lynn R. Mitchell
February 9, 2013

No comments: