Saturday, April 07, 2007

Olde Towne Midlothian....

Spent much of today at my cousins' church, Bethel Baptist, with my 11-year-old niece and my sister and mom. Bethel, located in Midlothian in Chesterfield County, is such an historic and beautiful old church ... started in 1799 with the building dedicated in 1817. It still houses a bustling congregation ... and currently an addition is being added that will double the size of the original sanctuary.

Today the place was hopping with members, visitors, and youngsters. I'm a family-oriented person and love getting together with my siblings, cousins, and parents so today was something I thoroughly enjoyed.

Bethel Baptist is located just behind Hallsborough Tavern which sits prominently on Midlothian Turnpike ... one of the old-time taverns used in the days when these were dirt roads and travel from Richmond to that point was a two- or three-day journey. Chesterfield County is very historic ... it is my birthplace and where I was raised ... and where most of my family still lives.

My niece enjoyed Bible stories, crafts, and an old-fashioned Easter egg hunt. The rest of us enjoyed the antics of the younger set and the fellowship of being with friends and family. It was fun and gave an excuse for us all to spend time together....

2 comments:

FoodforThought said...

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to my neck of the woods. I to was raised in Chesterfield, in the Bon Air/Midlothian area and love the area you spoke of. I post alot of Chesterfield related posts at www.alteroffreedom.blogspot.com

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

J. Scott, I grew up in Bon Air, too ... how ironic. The world gets smaller every day.