Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dan Fogelberg ... 1951-2007

"You've got to just follow your heart and do your best work. For better or worse, I have followed my heart. There is no doubt in my mind or heart that everything I've done is exactly what I intended to do." -- Dan Fogelberg (1951-2007)
Dan Fogelberg, that talented singer/songwriter who could weave the story of his life through the lyrics and music of a song, has died at 56 ... far too young an age. He left us with many memorable songs but in my guitar case is my favorite ... "Leader of the Band" ... a father-son/parent-child story that is as old as time.

"We drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to time ... reliving in our eloquence, another 'auld lang syne.' "

Thanks for the music....


Leader Of The Band

An only child alone and wild, a cabinet maker's son
His hands were meant for different work
And his heart was known to none
He left his home and went his lone and solitary way
And he gave to me a gift I know I never can repay.

A quiet man of music denied a simpler fate
He tried to be a soldier once, but his music wouldn't wait
He earned his love through discipline-- a thundering, velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls took me years to understand.

(Chorus)
The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band.

My brothers' lives were different for they heard another call
One went to Chicago and the other to St Paul
And I'm in Colorado when I'm not in some hotel
Living out this life I've chose and have come to know so well.

I thank you for the music and your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom when it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness and the times when you got tough
And, papa, I don't think I said 'I love you' near enough.

(Chorus)

I am a living legacy to the leader of the band....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this yesterday on FOX News as I was driving to work. He had so many great songs. "Hard To Say" with Glenn Frey on backing vocals is a favorite of mine as is "Heart Hotels," "Missing You" and "The Power of Gold." While many focus on his softer side, "Missing You" and "Gold" both had a rocking edge to them.

Vivian J. Paige said...

Agreed. Thanks for the music, Dan.

Anonymous said...

You must be slipping. You don't usually have anything nice to say about Democrats, even great artists like Fogelberg.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

You are right, Riley; he had many great songs. I must admit I liked his "softer" songs better ... the ballads that told stories, many of his own life. "The Innocent Age" collection is probably my favorite. An accoustic guitar and a simple song ... it doesn't get much better. His music will be around for a long time....

Anonymous said...

I loved his music too. Was he really a democrat? Can't believe he died so young.