Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Weeds, plants, and politics

We continue to enjoy forsythia blooms even as the leaves have now filled in making a lush canopy across the porch which helps ward off late afternoon sun on hot summer days.

Weeds are pesky things. Since I neglected my flower gardens this spring, I have had my job cut out for me the past two days trying to catch up ... pulling weeds, separating overgrown plants, raking leaves out from behind boxwoods. Some areas are finished; tomorrow I have others to work on.

Even at that, gardening relaxes me ... it takes me away from politics being outside listening to the birds as a gentle breeze blows in the warm sunshine. As a kid I used to be much happier helping my dad with yard work than in the house vacuuming and dusting. Ugh. Some things never change....

All the flowers are potted ... but tomorrow will include another trip to Milmont to check out some varieties that were not ready two weeks ago, and to get the remaining flowers needed for the planters. I enjoy the lush, colorful fullness of many flowers that add beauty to the long days of summer.

Baskets are hanging from trees; window boxes are full; terra cotta pots sit around porches and potted impatiens sit on the ground beneath the fountain in the shady portion of the backyard.

By the time the Fourth of July arrives everything will be filled out and in full bloom. The Fourth is when we entertain family and friends so it's always nice to have flowers -- this year in a red, white, and blue theme -- as part of the backdrop. With American flags all around the yard we will be in first-rate festive mode!

This morning's bright sunshine gave way to clouds and showers and coolness in the afternoon. Showers are in the forecast the next three days. Guess I can clean house then....

The evening sky on Monday was strange-looking....

Monday evening as I was watering flowers in the window boxes I noticed the sky over the Alleghanies looked strange. I took a photo because the colors were odd; it looked almost like smoke and trailed up into the atmosphere. About 15 minutes after taking the above photo, a flash followed by a loud clap of thunder startled everyone. There was no indication of a thunderstorm; the temps had been fairly cool all day and, other than the odd-looking sky (which did not look like a gathering storm), the lightning, thunder, wind, and rain that followed was completely unexpected.

It's spring in the Shenandoah Valley....

Photos by SWAC Girl

No comments: