Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Del. Terrie L. Suit: "I will be retiring this fall..."

[From Del. Terrie L. Suit]

September 9, 2008

Dear Friends,

It has been an incredible honor to serve as your representative in the Virginia House of Delegates these past nine years.

When I first sought this position in 1999, I made a commitment that I would not be a career politician. The time has come for me to make good on that commitment and relinquish this office so that another citizen of the 81st district will have an opportunity to serve. I will be retiring this fall.

I ran for office as a relative newcomer to southern Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. My husband, Tom, was a First Class Petty Officer Navy SEAL. As life-long military family members, we felt strongly that we should get involved in the community where we lived, plant roots, and advocate on behalf of other military families in Virginia. That goal was met. I have spent the past nine years focusing on improving the quality of life for military families, protecting property rights, and fighting unnecessary laws that only served as an obstacle to small business and job development. My proudest accomplishments as your representative include authoring and sponsoring to a successful passage:

* The legislative proposals presented to the Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) to protect and retain NAS Oceana.

* The legislation providing for in-state tuition rates at Virginia colleges and universities for military dependents and active-duty service members

* Legislation to reform Virginia’s eminent domain laws, mortgage lending laws, and homeowner/condominium association laws.

This past year Tom retired from 27 years of military service which began in the US Marine Corps and culminated with his 21 years as a Navy SEAL. After 19 years of marriage, juggling deployment schedules with legislative schedules, and losing sleep during combat tours, we are finally ready for the quieter lives of private citizens.

As military kids, Tom and I have the shared experience of growing up living all over the United States. From Montana to California, Idaho to North Dakota, we have had the opportunity to sample life all across America. But in the end Virginia won us over. The roots have taken hold. We will continue to make Hampton Roads our permanent home. I am looking forward to settling in to my new career as a Director of Government Relations for a local law firm and I hope to continue my education and complete my graduate studies. Tom will continue his work in the defense industry and hopes to finally finish restoring that 1970 Plymouth Barracuda that’s been hiding under a car cover in the garage.

Thank you for allowing me the privilege of serving you as your elected representative. It has been an incredible experience and a true honor. As a fellow citizen and friend, I look forward to continuing to work with you toward the betterment of our region.

Sincerely,

Terrie L. Suit

No comments: