Monday, September 08, 2008

Mall of America




Restaurants were located throughout the Mall.













Light rail station went underground at the Mall of America and emptied passengers at the door.



Okay. I'll admit it. I have a new-found respect for the Mall of America. I'm not a shopper and have made fun of it for years ... "Who in their right mind needs that much shopping?"

But after visiting ... reluctantly, I must admit, SWAC Daughter dragged me there ... I now see a need for this gigantic, four-story shopping/entertainment complex.

Chris Saxman told me he had visited Minneapolis in January one year when it was 40 below zero. That mall was full of moms and children the day we visited, and remembering when my kids were young and it was too cold to go to the playground, I suddenly realized that, when it was 40 below, life did not come to a standstill.

The light rail runs directly to the Mall, unloading passengers underground. No need to be in the weather; just exit and enter the shopping center with the kids. There are tons of food places with everything from McDonald's to upscale dining, and there is plenty of entertainment for kids with lots of tables for moms to sit nearby and watch.

The amusement park offers rides for all ages. Legoland offers entertainment for all ages. The undersea aquarium offers entertainment for all ages. There is enough to do that kids would not get bored visiting throughout the long winter.

Shopping offers four levels of every kind of store you can think of. SWAC Daughter indulged herself in a Coach purse. I indulged myself in a $2 GOP Convention pin. Like I said ... I'm not a shopper. A $20 purse from Target is fine with me.

The light rail was inexpensive -- $1.50 per person from our hotel in downtown Minneapolis to the Mall in Bloomington which is about 15-20 miles out of town. We got to see the Twins' stadium, too, but it was raining and I didn't get a photo.

That's another thing: it was rainy and the mall was full of moms and kids who could not be outdoors otherwise.

Yep. I have a newfound respect for the Mall of America.

Photos by SWAC Girl

No comments: