Saturday, January 02, 2010

Public servants gone wild

Millions of Americans are insulted by the actions of Congress and the holier-than-thou attitude of those elected to watch over our country.

Now Nancy Morgan of RightBias.com puts those thoughts into words in a way many have not been able to. These are our public servants yet they are treating us as if we are the employees, not they.

In Public servants gone wild, Ms. Morgan writes:

The employees I originally hired to handle certain aspects of my life are out of control. Drunk with the power I have given them, they have decided that they know better than I how to arrange my life. And there's not much I can do.

While I was busy living my life, my employees seem to have put certain rules in place which make it almost impossible for me to fire them. I wasn't aware of most of these new rules. My fault. I had just assumed the media would inform me if they crossed the line. They didn't. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

My employees grandly refer to themselves as public servants, giving one and all the false impression that they are sacrificing everything in order to work on my behalf. Cushy jobs, access to power and money, enjoying unearned respect and complete lack of accountability are just some of the sacrifices they must endure.
It only gets better from there. Ms. Morgan expresses the frustration of many Americans at a time when they are tightening their belts in tough financial times and, yet, public servants are spending tax money as if there is no tomorrow:
I don't know what I've done that makes my employees treat me in this disrespectful fashion. After all, I made sure they were very well paid. Hey, I even gave them a better health plan and much more generous pension than I have. I gave them my hard earned money to travel the world in private jets and dine at fine restaurants. On my tab. Meanwhile, I make do with a 7 year-old SUV which, by the way, they're now telling me is immoral for me to drive.
She concludes with lessons learned:
With 20/20 hindsight, I now understand some lessons from history I was never taught in government schools: When you endow someone with unearned wealth, it will soon become their 'right.' When you appease tyrants, you only get more tyranny. And the only power tyrants have is that relinquished by their victims. [emphasis added]
I would add one more: lessons learned climbing up the ladder provide one for better leadership once that leadership is attained. Power unearned is squandered and abused.

H/T to David Horowitz NewsReal

No comments: