Sunday, February 26, 2012

Watch the Oscars? No, thanks

Tonight is Oscar night with the red carpet, movie stars, limos, and over-the-top fashions ... and I won't be watching. Call me out-of-the-loop if you want but the Oscars lost me years ago. Honestly, once we had children, movie dates became a rare commodity because it was more complicated than when we were single or "WC" ... "without children."

Once we had babies, a night out at the movies involved the cost of a babysitter tacked onto the cost of the movie and, quite honestly, we were doing well to keep our financial heads above water at that point.

As the years went by, we got used to not seeing the latest movies out of Hollywood. Besides, there weren't that many we wanted to see and the ones we were interested in were picked up when they hit the video stores.

This year is no exception. Out of all the movies nominated for Oscar, I've seen exactly one: The Help. That's a better track record than in past years. My sister lent me the book and I was hooked and actually bought the DVD at Thanksgiving. I waited, however, until the Christmas holiday to watch it at my mom's house with family around. We really enjoyed that movie and a couple of weeks ago I watched it again.

I noticed someone else will not be watching the Oscars tonight....

Meanwhile, I'm curled up watching The Holiday, a fun light-hearted movie from 2006 starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, and Jack Black and, even though its time frame is Christmas, that doesn't matter. I could watch Christmas movies year round.

Enjoy the Oscars!

No comments: