Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Trouble in the tea leaves ... Dick Armey quits Freedom Works -- UPDATED

Dick Armey's work with Freedom Works was a big part of the tea party movement but now the conservative former House majority leader has quit the group. Reported in a number of media outlets including Politico, Mother Jones, and the Washington Post's Post Politics, Armey said he disagreed with the direction the group was going.

Dick Armey is not alone in leaving the organization. Max Pappas, Freedom Works' former vice president for public policy and government affairs, has also left.

In an email dated November 30, 2012, Armey appeared to leave on less than friendly terms as he demands that Freedom Works stop using his name, that he receive payment through the end of 2012, and prohibiting them from using any part of his book, "Hitting the Ground Running," without his explicit permission.

Freedom Works is headed up by Matt Kibbe who is libertarian.

Dick Armey's resignation letter to Freedom Works:
This is to inform you that as of 5:00 P.M. ET on November 30, 2012 I resign my position of Trustee at FreedomWorks, Inc. and my positions of Chairman of FreedomWorks and FreedomWorks Foundation.

As I resign from all board positions and duties, please see below a list of dispositions on outstanding issues: I expect to be fully compensated through the expiration date (December 31, 2012) of my current consulting contract with FreedomWorks. Henceforth FreedomWorks shall be prohibited from using my name, image, or signature in any way or for any purpose without my written permission or in the event of my death, without my heirs written permission.

Effective immediately I expect that Freedom Works shall remove my name, image, and signature from all its letters, print media, postings, web sites, videos, testimonials, endorsements, fund raising materials, and social media, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter. I expect to receive via email at [redacted] by the close of business, December 4, 2012, all user names, passwords, security questions, and security answers for all accounts, web sites and social media, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter, created in my name.

Effective immediately FreedomWorks is prohibited from using my booklet or any updated versions of my booklet "Hitting the Ground Running" without my written permission which I innovated while still in congress and trusted to Max Pappas to update for new member orientation. I request that FreedomWorks deliver the copy of my official congressional portrait to my home in Texas.
It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story when it finally comes out....

UPDATE: Roll Call has more on Dick Armey leaving Freedom Works and other staffers who are departing, too. Sadly, Freedom Works did not endorse Mitt Romney for the presidential election. In my book, that means they are partly responsible for the re-election of Barack Obama. The latest:
Several top FreedomWorks staffers are leaving the conservative advocacy group in the wake of former House Majority Leader Dick Armey’s resignation, the organization confirmed Tuesday.

Max Pappas, the group’s former vice president for public policy and government affairs, has left the organization, and Brendan Steinhauser, director of campaigns, will depart on Friday. Two of his staffers, Amanda Shell and David Spielman, have also resigned.
Armey had been co-chairman of the group since 2003. Roll Call added:
In the past year, FreedomWorks’ leaders have become increasingly divided over the direction of the organization, multiple sources close to the group told Roll Call Tuesday.
Stay tuned....

No comments: