Monday, November 13, 2006

Blue Ridge winter woods....

Blue Ridge winter woods on a fall day....
The mountains were calling me today....
After months of an intense election season, I had to escape to the hills ... where it was good to be outdoors along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I love the winter woods ... trees are bare and you can see the forest floor. This time of year there are few people on the Parkway so it offers solitude with only the sound of the wind and the dry, rustly leaves on the ground to keep you company.
Afton offers a refuge from the world and is a great place to be alone with your thoughts while looking out over the Shenandoah (western view) or Rockfish (eastern view) Valleys.

Today was cool, overcast, and a little foggy so a view of the Shenandoah Valley was not possible ... but the view was still priceless.

Howardsville Turnpike as it heads down the mountain toward Lyndhurst.

An old split rail fence along Howardsville Turnpike is a reminder of earlier times.

(Photos by SWAC Girl)

4 comments:

cafe de emporia said...

This is God's Country...why the Valley is the most beautiful place on Earth. I can see myself living nowhere else after being born in it's shadow. This is where it's at...

f mcdonald said...

And you didn't me with you?

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

You're welcome to join me anytime, Flora! :) I consider myself extremely fortunate to live in the shadow of these beautiful mountains. Come on up anytime!

Anonymous said...

You've captured the essence of fall in the Blue Ridge. Thanks for the pictures for those of us who can't get to the mountains often enough.