Saturday, July 14, 2007

Not totally unexpected ... but sad nonetheless.....

Came home from the Churchville parade to find this email from Governor Jim Gilmore saying he is withdrawing from the presidential race. While it's not totally unexpected, I had hoped his common sense ideas would send him to the front of the pack.

July 14, 2007

Dear Virginia Republican Leader:

I am today withdrawing my candidacy for the Republican nomination for President. It has been a positive and rewarding experience for me, for my family, and for my supporters.

It has become apparent to me that the combination of my late start, and the front loaded nature of the primary schedule, have made it impractical to continue to pursue this path towards further public service.

I am proud of the fact that my campaign focused on the issues, worked hard to block amnesty for illegal immigrants, brought attention to the need to protect private property rights, and called for a new path in Iraq that would provide our valiant military men and women with a more clearly defined and achievable mission.

However, I have come to believe that it takes more than a positive vision for our nation's future to successfully compete for the Presidency. I believe that it takes years of preparation to put in place both the political and financial infrastructure to contest what now amounts to a one-day national primary in February.

In the coming weeks and months, I intend to remain active in the Republican Party and in the public debate. I will be forming a state political action committee to assist Republican candidates in the Virginia General Assembly races. Additionally, I will be actively looking for other opportunities to continue in public service in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Thank you for your interest and support of my candidacy. I look forward to finding opportunities to continue working with you in the future so that together we can make America an even better place to live, work and raise a family.

Sincerely,

Jim Gilmore

Related Story: Politico.com

1 comment:

Steve Harkonnen said...

We should now focus our attention on Fred Thompson as being the top Republican candidate for president.