I am sad to say that at our last committee meeting on Tuesday, April 21, 2009, Chairman Bill Shirley would not allow anyone to speak to the issue even to the extend that he refused to recognize RPV Acting Chairman Mike Thomas who had driven up from Richmond, and did not even acknowledge Mr. Thomas' presence at the start of the meeting.
Committee members tried to speak but Bill Shirley threatened them with a Sergeant of Arms and a local deputy, a tactic that has become all too familiar to intimidate and shut down discussion. This kind of harassment is not how Republicans act.
In solidarity with the 56 members who were removed from the committee, I will stand with them and, in protest of their dismissal, have formally resigned from the Augusta County Republican Committee along with the majority of the Executive Committee who left for the same reason.
I apologize to RPV Acting Chairman Mike Thomas for his poor treatment, and to the 56 purged volunteers who have been there for us throughout the years.
It is a sad day to realize that the Party that was so vibrant and strong in Augusta County has fallen to such depths with no hope of the majority of the banished 56 returning anytime soon. My conscience will not allow me to associate with the type of behavior displayed by Bill Shirley and others. I will help the GOP in other more productive ways rather than fight members of the Party.
It is said that Virginians traditionally have a sense of civility in politics ... but we seem to have lost that in the Augusta County Republican Party under the chairmanship of Bill Shirley.
Some civil voices on this subject:
New - Too Conservative: What a mess in Augusta County
New - Yankee Phil: VA Bloggers asks a question about Augusta County....
- Yankee Phil: A letter from Swacgirl to local Republicans
- Augusta Conservative: Augusta County Republican Committee purges 56 members
- Yankee Phil: Majority of the Augusta County Board resigned
- Augusta Free Press: Local GOP committee splintering over ... what, exactly?
- Fishersville Mike: Something bothering me
- Augusta Conservative: Augusta County GOP Committee Falls Apart
- Yankee Phil: Time to print new brochures
- Fishersville Mike: It's the internet age, settle it
- The Augusta Water Cooler: Augusta axes hardworking grassroots volunteers
From Too Conservative blog with comments: