Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Take a drive when autumn comes to town

The backroads of Pastures District in western Augusta County are always an adventure and today was no exception. I love my District! It is diverse with mountains, pastures, farms, mountain cabins, and national forest. On this beautiful second day of fall, I enjoyed the diversion of taking the road less traveled.
Look at those clouds! They formed like that along the Alleghany and Blue Ridge Mountains. This is the view from my neck of the woods.
Again ... the clouds along the mountains were in gorgeous formations today.
I was volunteering today in my District so a fellow volunteer and I enjoyed lunch on the porch of T-Bone Tooter's Restaurant in Churchville. This is looking at Rt. 250 as it passes in front of the restaurant. Owners Diane and Bennie Rankin have been big supporters of the troops over the years, the site of many "packing" parties to fill packages for our military in Iraq and Afghanistan.
After lunch I went for a drive ... the mountains and backroads were calling. This is Rt. 250 heading west out of Churchville on the way to Deerfield and on to Highland County.
Greens are still prevalent at lower elevations but veins of color can be seen on the mountain slopes.
The clouds caught my attention again.
The clouds were low on the Alleghanies as I looked across this field with the hay wagon waiting to be hauled to the barn and unloaded.
The clouds again....

Another back road on the way to a friend's house.

Original quote: "Take a walk when autumn comes to town." -Van Morrison

Photos by SWAC Girl
Lynn Mitchell
September 23, 2009

No comments: