Looking ahead to an even better, safer, more prosperous and opportunity filled future, Virginia Republican leaders in the General Assembly are championing a forward-looking agenda for governing that builds upon their past accomplishments.
· Mandating that all local Sheriffs, upon a lawful arrest for a crime, confirm that person’s legal presence in the United States using the nationwide databases of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This change will streamline and strengthen statewide immigration enforcement.
· Ensuring that at least one person on duty in every jail at all times has been certified under federal 287(g) authority (named for the section of federal law that allows more effective cooperation between federal immigration officials and state and local governments). This change means that, upon a positive identification of an illegal alien, there will be a person with federal authority readily available to detain and begin deportation proceedings, after that individual has served his or her sentence.
· Creating a presumption of no bail for any person who has been charged with an offense punishable by jail or prison time and who has been determined (through ICE databases) to be illegally present in the United States. This change will help stop controversial “catch and release” activities, one of the primary ways criminal illegal aliens currently pass through existing government systems unchecked.
· Making a federal conviction for hiring illegal aliens grounds for suspension of a business license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. This change will serve as an effective deterrent to the unlawful hiring of illegal aliens.
· Prohibiting illegal aliens from attending Virginia public institutions of higher education, unless they have a valid student visa. Recognizing that college entrance slots are fixed and limited, this change will preserve state benefits for in-state students and their families.