Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Berkeley Marines and Congressman Bob Goodlatte

I wrote Congressman Bob Goodlatte (R-6th Congressional District) to ask that he support HR 5222, the Semper Fi Act, to supporting cutting off federal funds to Berkeley, CA, and send them instead to the U.S. Marine Corps. I received the following letter from him today:
Dear Lynn:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent decision by the city of Berkeley, California to treat U.S. Marines with disrespect. I appreciate hearing from you, and I share your concern.

As you may know, on January 29, 2007, the Berkeley City Council approved motions to send a letter to the U.S. Marine Corps informing them that they are "unwelcome intruders" in the city of Berkeley, to give the anti-war group Code Pink a reserved parking space in front of the Marine Corps recruiting station in Berkeley, and waiving noise permit requirements for the group.

In response to the large national outcry that resulted from the Berkeley city council's actions, the council decided on February 13, 2008, not to send the letter to the Marine Corps. However, the measures passed accommodating the group Code Pink still stand.

To express my opposition to the city of Berkeley's disrespect, I joined 91 Members of Congress in cosponsoring H.R. 5222, the Semper Fi Act. This legislation would rescind funds appropriated for fiscal year 2008 for the City of Berkeley, California, and any entities located in the city, and to provide that these funds be transferred to the Marine Corps Operation and Maintenance account of the Department of Defense for the purposes of recruiting.

The Semper Fi Act was introduced on February 6, 2008, and was referred to the House Committee on Appropriations. No further action has taken place.

All Americans who are serving in the U.S. military took an oath to protect this country and the freedoms that we hold dear. As Americans we owe these dedicated men and women a debt of gratitude. Rest assured, I will continue to work to ensure that our armed forces remain the most effective and best equipped in the world and that our military personnel receive the level of compensation they deserve.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me. I feel it is important to keep an open line of communication so I can best serve the interests of the 6th District. I hope you will continue to be in touch as the 110th Congress debates issues of importance to the United States.

Again, thanks for the benefit of your comments. Please feel free to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Bob Goodlatte
Member of Congress
His support of our men and women in uniform is very much appreciated.

No comments: