Monday, October 27, 2008

Sarah Palin in Asheville, NC ... eyewitness account

Asheville, NC ... that gorgeous city in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western Carolina ... was the host to a recent Sarah Palin rally. As with all of her other rallies, thousands and thousands of people turned out to see this rising Republican star, far more than the arena held. Though thousands were turned away, they were grateful that she showed up in their city.

Here is an eyewitness account:
Just wanted to let you all know that my family and I attended a Sarah Palin rally in Asheville yesterday - spent 3 hours in line to get into the Civic Center and did not get in because it was filled at 10,000 attendees. I would say that there were 25,000 people standing in line. So perhaps the predictions that the election is in the bag are a bit inflated.

We went to show our kids (7 and 3) democracy in action, to see history in the making and to take action for what we believe in. How we were treated in Asheville was, quite simply, appalling. Rather than peaceful [Democrat] protests, people were dressed as zombies screaming at our kids (yes, our KIDS) that their parents were stupid and indoctrinating them with propaganda. Sarah tried to pet a "zombie" dog and was told "NO," that she was a zombie by some scary looking woman....

When we got home at 12:30 am, we noticed that our McCain-Palin sign had been stolen from our yard. I was first in line at the GOP headquarters downtown to get a replacement this morning, I also got a back-up just in case this happens again. They can steal my sign, but they cannot steal my vote.

While I am ashamed that these people behaved the way that they did, Wayne and I were so glad to see that there were so many pro-McCain and Palin attendees in Asheville.

The "zombies" in Asheville may have been trying to bully us into voting for Obama. They did not succeed. They simply [ticked] me off and are making me more vocal in taking back America and making it a place that we can be proud of again.

Please send this to anyone who may be on the fence about even casting a vote because they think it won't matter [and] that it's a done deal. If you can get 25,000 Republicans to come out in Asheville, we can certainly do it across America. I think it is far from over!
McCain-Palin 2008

6 comments:

☮ H ☮ said...

You can't pigeon-hole Asheville by a few people in zombie attire. Your "eyewitness" account is bias and small-minded. To claim that "the way we were treated in Asheville was...appalling" is a smack in the face to all the wonderful people that inhabit the area. Just because your eyewitness never ventured beyond the general area of the Civic Center. And I doubt any of these "zombies" were trying to bully your eyewitness into voting for Obama. That's a pathetic ploy to stir up more fear-based hatred that has already been thrown around way too much. If there are a few characteristics that describe Asheville they are tolerance and diversity. To insinuate that "Asheville" and its people as a whole are appalling is disgusting and quite frankly pretty typical of partisan efforts to spread hate. Thanks for living up to that standard.

☮ H ☮ said...

And by the way, it was 18,000 people total. Not 25,000 standing in line.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your blog about the rally in Asheville. Your eyewitness coverage was ten times more accurate than the local news coverage. Not that I'm a bit shocked. It seems the media, including our local media, would have us believe it's already over. I am incredibly proud of all the McCain/Palin supporters for coming out Sunday. Showing "liberal" Asheville just how liberal they are. I arrived at 2:00, waited in line for 4-5 hours and still didn't get into the Civic Center. I did make it into the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium which was used for overflow seating. The atmosphere inside the Auditorium I imagine was as equally energetic,though. We stood up and cheered over and over because she cares about the freedom we hold so dear to our hearts. It was encouraging looking around at my fellow Americans. It's not over yet!!!!
Like you, I brought my 9 and 7 year olds. And I was actually pretty pleased that Obama is the one who has the "Zombie" vote locked in and not McCain. : ) And also like you, I had something stolen from me that night. I had a "NObama for this Mama" magnet my kids and I made--ripped off my car with a dent left in it's place. Sunday's events were enough evidence to prove that the left is ANGRY. Thanks again for your posting.
Citizen of Swannanoa

Anonymous said...

The zombie walk was planned for months...Sarah Palin ironically happened to speak on National Zombie Day (in the most liberal town in the South), which is the day Asheville has been holding the zombie walk for the last few years. And the zombies path aways goes by the Civic Center, so alot of zombies were pissed off because we had to go down back roads and no one was really able to see us, so some went to the Civic Center after the walk was over.

Anonymous said...

...and im sure a majority of those thousands of people waiting to see palin weren't actually from asheville, but from the surrounding bible belt... there were an awful lot of out of state license plates with mcain stickers that weekend... otherwise asheville is full of obama stickers! i think THAT goes to show how liberal asheville is...
oh and by the way, trying to drive downtown that night, i had "F**K OBAMA" yelled at me from the crowd leaving the civic center...

Anonymous said...

My parents have lived in Asheville all their lives. They went to the Obama rally and went to the Palin rally. They really were disappointed in the yelling and screaming and profanity of the 'outside' Obama suporters, because of the lateness of the gathering they chose not to take their grandchildren...glad they didn't. and I think it's fall leaf season...thus so many out of state license plates! Be the Asheville I have always known and loved...tolerant and proud of the diversity...but not obnoxious and rude.