Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thoughts about the past 48 hours....

It's interesting how life takes twists and turns along the way that impact us on an individual basis. How we handle those changes and challenges determines and builds our character to pursue more as we move through our time here on earth.

By now just about everyone knows of Del. Chris Saxman's decision not to run for reelection of the 20th House of Delegates seat. He is my delegate, and I respect his decision to step away from power.

Only a strong leader can relinquish the "power of the ring." I saw it locally when Dr. Kurt Michael won his mass meeting but voluntarily stepped aside as chairman of the Augusta County Republican Committee to bring unity to the Party ... I saw it in Gov. Sarah Palin's decision to step aside as governor for the good of Alaska ... and I saw it in Del. Chris Saxman's decision Friday. It takes real leadership and integrity to be able to let go of power for some greater good. The truth be known, those who are willing to lay down power are the very ones who should be wielding it. I wish more politicians were like that.

Friday morning my phone started ringing at 7:30 after Chris' announcement began to hit the media ... and it did not stop for the next 12 hours. I will eventually write about my respect for Del. Saxman and the fun of campaigning with him over the years ... but not tonight.

This morning my husband and I drove to Richmond for an RPV State Central Committee meeting where, interestingly, I sat next to Sen. Emmett Hanger. Afterwards, we went to Short Pump shopping and enjoyed dinner there before heading back to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

Meanwhile, Chris is on my mind. Daily prayers go up for him and his family, and I wish him well as he enters the next chapter of his life. When a door closes, a window opens ... and Del. Saxman will find that window when the time is right. Leaders always do.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. --Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

Frodo and Gandalf said...

"You say the ring is dangerous, far more dangerous than I guess.

In what way?"

"In many ways. It is far more powerful than I ever dared to think at first, so powerful that in the end it would utterly overcome anyone of mortal race who possessed it. It would possess him."

The Lord of the Rings
Chapter 'The Shadow of the Past'.

Anonymous said...

I am confident that Chris has done the right thing for himself and family. He will not run in a political race which last only for a season, but he will continue the great race of life that leads to salvation marked out by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.