Wednesday, May 26, 2010

In memory of Blackfive's friend Mat Schram ... KIA 5/26/03

Read this moving account of Major Mathew Schram's death in Iraq seven years ago today, written by his friend Blackfive.

It was the passing of Mat, whose death was never reported by the reporter whose life he saved, that propelled Blackfive to begin writing and reporting and remembering the soldiers at war. He has gone on to become one of the most respected military blogs in the blogosphere.

Perhaps one of the most touching parts of the post are his words upon hearing of his friend's death:
I was at my desk at work on Tuesday, June 3rd. The phone rang. I looked at the caller ID to see that it was a call from Ft. Leavenworth. I picked it up.

It was John, a friend of mine and Mat Schram's. We had all served together years ago and had stayed in touch. He told me to sit down. I did. He told me that Mat had been killed in Iraq.

After composing myself, we finished our conversation and I promised to see John's wife, Patti, at the funeral. John had to be at Special Operations Command and couldn't make it.

I shut the door to my office, sat back down at my desk and wept for a long time.
Here's sending up a prayer for Major Mathew Schram and his family. Gone but not forgotten....

No comments: