Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Starwood in Aspen" home sold by Annie Denver

UPDATE: This was not the home built by John Denver in Starwood, as noted in the comments below. Here is a post by Sarah at the blog House Crazy about the original house which, apparently, remained with John until his death. Lots of photos and great background info here for John Denver fans.

John Denver's former wife, Ann Denver (of Annie's Song fame), has sold their Starwood home in Aspen for $7 million.

As reported in the Aspen Times, the four bath, five bedroom, 4,705-square foot home at 2480 McClain Flats Road in the gated community of Starwood was built by the couple in 1985. After their divorce, Annie remained in the home and raised their two children. John Denver died in 1997 while flying an airplane over the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California.

When I read the news, the song Starwood in Aspen started running through my head, a reminder of happier times for the Denver family, and a reminder of John Denver's love of the Rocky Mountains and his desire to return to them as soon as possible while traveling. It is one of the many Denver songs I play on my guitar.

Starwood in Aspen
by John Denver
(From the Best of John Denver collection)

It's a long way from LA to Denver
It's a long time to hang in the sky
It's a long way home to Starwood in Aspen
A sweet Rocky Mountain paradise
Oh, my sweet Rocky Mountain paradise

Springtime is rollin' around slowly
Grey skies are bringin' me down
I can't remember when I've ever been so lonely
I forgot what it's like to be home
Can't remember what it's like to be home

But I think on my lady's sweet memories
I think on my children's sweet smiles
I think on my home in Starwood in Aspen
All my friends and the snow covered hills
Oh, my friends are the snow covered hills

And I tell you I'm happy to be here
To share and consider this time
For I see here the shadows of changes
And a feeling of new friends to find
And I see here some new friends to find

But it's a long way from this place to Denver
It's a long time to hang in the sky
It's a long way home to Starwood in Aspen
A sweet Rocky Mountain paradise
Oh, my sweet Rocky Mountain paradise

Also in Rocky Mountain News.

4 comments:

Joy Jackson said...

There's something else we have in common. I just loved John Denver's songs. "Sunshine on My Shoulders" is one I used to sing to my cat, Sunshine, when I carried him around on my shoulder like a baby. Ah sweet memories.

Unknown said...

That house ISN"T the house that John Denver resided in. Before he and Annie were divorced,they lived in the award-winning redwood and glass house that he designed(he was an architecture major in College)in 1971 and was built on Johnson Drive.THAT house was sold shortly after his death for tax purposes and can be seen here:
http://www.sweetdreamsplace.com/jdhome.html
When John and Annie divorced in 1982,he remained in the Johnson Drive house(it was given as his place of residence on his death certificate) and Annie moved out and built a new house for herself at the McClain Flats Rd address.THAT second house is the one being sold here,and JD never lived in it. Not being picky,just thought you might like the extra info!
Glad you're a JD fan as well. It's just that there's soooooo much incorrect info about John floating out there(e.g he did NOT commit suicide,nor was he intoxicated when he died,as the press like to suggest)we like to put some of it right!
Aspen IS a beautful place! Have a great day!

Karen said...

I listen to John Denver's beautiful songs daily, still... Who cares where they lived or where they didn't live? John was a brilliant songwriter, singer & entertainer!! He would be so excited about how far the world has come in the recycling process. To me he was the start of the "green movement"!! Do you ever wonder if that when you die, do you get to meet him? I do so hope so, after all, it is heaven!! Someday I will have that answer & hope that it is the one I hoped it to be...

Unknown said...

Thank goodness you corrected this post!! I was shaking my head the whole way through it.