Friday, May 28, 2010

Jay O'Brien ends State Senate race

The news today that Jay O'Brien was dropping out of the state senate race was unexpected and a little confusing. I received the following message:
A Message from Jay O'Brien

Dear Friends,

After much thought and prayer, I have decided to withdraw my candidacy from the 39th State Senate campaign for 2011.

Unfortunately, recent developments in my business will require more of my attention than I had previously anticipated. It is clear to me that I cannot continue a campaign for office without the full concentration it deserves.

I cannot begin to thank all the supporters who have assisted me over the many years I have served in public office; I am grateful to them beyond words. As I begin a new chapter in my life, I will never forget the friends and colleagues who have devoted themselves, often at great sacrifice, to make Virginia and America a better place.

Sincerely,

Jay O'Brien

Please refer questions to Jason Flanary at (703) 380-7334.
Then I read an article in InsideNoVa.com that said:
But word of [O'Brien resigning] was making its way through Prince William and Fairfax political circles Thursday afternoon.

It came after O'Brien was apparently caught on security video taking several Martin campaign fliers from the Davis General Store in Clifton.
...
He and the owners of the store said O'Brien came in Sunday morning, bought gas and a newspaper, and then took the fliers.
Something is missing ... what is the rest of the story?

1 comment:

Phil Rodokanakis said...

The story is that O'Brien--a great supporter of red light cameras--was caught on surveillance video shoplifting his opponents literature. Quite an irony, if you think about it... LOL