Thursday, October 09, 2008

Out and about and happenings in the Shenandoah Valley this weekend ...

It was another beautiful autumn day in the Shenandoah Valley as I drove throughout the SWAC area delivering "I Am Voting For The Chick" signs. Some sights along the way along with happenings in the Valley this weekend ...

Gasoline prices are dropping with the average in Staunton around $3.18 a gallon. The cheapest I saw was $3.11 at the Liberty Station on Rt. 340 in Stuarts Draft....

Stopped by Waynesboro GOP Headquarters again to drop off some signs for one of the volunteers. It was busy with a regular stream of folks looking for signs and McCain-Palin merchandise....

Enjoyed visiting with a gentleman and his wife and their one-year-old great-granddaughter when I stopped by to leave Chick signs at their Fishersville home. I had seen him last week and left a sign ... he had given it to someone who wanted one so I stopped by to leave another. He was grateful ... and so was I that he was willing to publicly support our candidates. He put the Chick sign in with his GOP signs and I wished them well. He is ill ... prayers for his recovery....

Another lady came out as I planted the Chick sign in her front yard in Waynesboro. She was appreciative and friendly and we chatted for a while in the shade of her front yard. Part of the reason I enjoy what I do is the interaction with people but, then, I have always enjoyed that no matter what I have done....

Had an email tonight from a home school mom friend to see if I wanted to meet up in the morning. I can't because the bus leaves in the morning for the Americans For Prosperity "Defending the American Dream" Summit in Arlington ... but we made plans to get together soon. I love the folks from the home school community and have remained friends with them even though my youngest graduated two years ago. They are solid, patriotic folks from all walks of life and all religious persuasions....

Waynesboro's Fall Foliage Festival is this weekend is held in the downtown streets with music, food, dancing, arts and crafts. Approximately 150 artists from across the country and Canada display two and three dimensional art work including paintings, photography, sculpture, jewelry, glasswork, metalwork, pottery, and other media. Admission and parking are free. The weather is supposed to be beautiful ... visit and enjoy....

The Green Valley Bookfair reopens this Saturday, October 11, through October 26 with thousands of new books at 60-90% off retail prices. I spend hours perusing the aisles in Green Valley's two buildings ... political books, regional history, cook books ... it's amazing what is available at a huge savings. They are open daily 9-7. Directions: I-81, exit 240; turn east on Rt. 682 and follow signs....

Massanutten Fall Festival is Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the ski slopes and at the lodge of Massanutten Resort off of Rt. 33 east of Harrisonburg. Cost is $5 per person with children under 10 free. Arts and crafts, candles, Christmas ornaments and decor, bands, food, free chair lift rides to the top of Massanutten Peak (worth the price of admission right there), wine tasting, inflatable bouncy-bounces, free face painting, and much more. Rain or shine; take lawn chairs or blankets. Head on up for a fun day at Massanutten....

It's fall in the Shenandoah Valley....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God the gas prices are down. We went to a pumpkin patch this weekend.
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

I posted several free audiobooks for homeschoolers would like at
http://www.heartofwisdom.comblog

Anonymous said...

$2.99 per gallon for gas in Richmond on Wednesday