Friday, July 03, 2009

Adnan: "Happy Independence Day and God Bless You"

Many remember Adnan Barqawi, the Virginia Tech cadet who captivated many when he addressed the RPV Convention in Richmond on May 30. He sent the following Independence Day message out to his Facebook group....

Fellow Americans,

Before I depart Houston, TX. to head to our Nations Capitol, I wanted to wish you a Happy Independence Day. As we enjoy this great time with family and friends, may we never forget those who fought and continue to fight for our freedom.

I was disappointed today when I learned that my 5th Graders did not understand what July 4th was all about. I shared with them the story of our founding fathers, and the tremendous sacrifices made by those who believed in today’s America. My gift to them was the video of my citizenship ceremony. I was amazed at how much they were moved by it. I told them it is their duty to educate those who do not know the importance of our independence day.

Despite all that is going on in our nation, we remain to be the strongest and greatest country, because we are founded on ideals that are so solid and grounded in the blood of those who believed in us before we believed in ourselves.

Happy Independence Day and God Bless You.

No comments: