Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Day 6 ... Thunderstorms in the Valley

Don't get me wrong ... the rain is wonderful especially when it's a gentle shower such as what is coming down today. What is interesting is that it's Day 6 in a row of thunderstorms rolling through the central Shenandoah Valley and we're beginning to wonder if we're in the monsoon season.

Grass is growing like crazy ... shrubs and trees definitely need trimming to avoid a jungle theme in the yard. Weeds are slurping up the rain and growing like gang-busters in every nook and cranny they can find ... walkways and pavers are full of green shoots. In the race against weeds, they're winning at the moment.

Again, don't get me wrong. We love our shady oasis of a yard and, when the sun is beating down in July with 90-degree temperatures and high humidity, we love it even more. After all, our annual 4th of July cookout would be unbearable without all the shade trees and green areas.

I'm just saying ... it's Day 6 in a row of thunderstorms and rain. Today as SWAC Husband and I worked in the front yard, the first gentle drops began and, by the time tools were gathered and we scooted onto the porch, a steady shower was coming down.

Bring it on! It's almost summer in the Shenandoah Valley....

4 comments:

Joy Jackson said...

It is more like a tropical climate. I have the same problems in my yard, especially the weeds. They really are out of control.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

LOL. We won't give up ... we've got clippers, snippers, electric trimmers, and lawnmowers in our "fight-the-weeds" arsenal!

Joy Jackson said...

The same here. And I've also got two strong arms and hands to pull the ones I can't spray with Round Up. I know it's not truly organic, but in the beds where I grow no food, that's what I use.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

I just came back indoors from trimming tree limbs. The ants are awful this year! I would have thought after the winter we had that it would have thinned them out. Big black ants that bite ... they were crawling up my legs while I worked.

We've put Seven Dust on them ... do you have any other ideas? Little red ants, too ... ants, ants, ants everywhere. Thankfully, they're not in the house but give 'em time.