Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weddings, funerals, life memories, rambling thoughts

Congratulations to Leslie and Graham on their wedding today in Staunton. SWAC Daughter was in the wedding party and they have all enjoyed a weekend of events and gatherings. Best wishes as the bride and groom begin their new life together....

Weddings, birthdays, graduations, births, funerals ... life is moving on.

A high school friend's dad passed away in Richmond last week. It brought back memories of church gatherings and school and time at his family's home overlooking the James River, a family of musicians, readers, globe trotters, explorers....

That led to a reconnection this week with two high school classmates (we were a class of 500+), catching up on our families and life. We were very active in our church youth group back in the day, and one became a minister who returned to pastor in the Richmond area....

There's something about talking with friends from childhood, those kids who knew us throughout our growing-up years, and as I talked earlier this week with a classmate who lives locally, it brought back a flood of memories of those who went through the awkward puberty years with us, who remember the jokes and good times, the girlfriends and boyfriends, crushes and heartaches ...

Remembering church plays, church musicals (we had much talent in our group of 100 teenagers including singers and musicians) ... those friends we sang and prayed with and spent time together at youth retreats as we grew in our Christian faith ... memories of driving our youth retreat chaperones crazy as we ignored curfew and tested the limits of their patience ...

Memories of riding bikes to the James River, guitar and piano lessons, school choir, football and baseball and basketball games ... class officers, drama club kids, artsy types ...

I remembered the year I was elected by my peers to be the youth music pastor to serve on Youth Sunday, an annual event at Bon Air Baptist Church when the teens took over the leadership positions in the church. I remembered the year I played the role of missionary Lottie Moon in the church play ... of meeting my best friend on the church playground which was halfway between her house and mine to share girlie talk ... of riding my bike to elementary school with my sister ... sleigh riding at Snead's Hill (now the location of Stony Point Shopping Center) with the neighborhood kids, summers at Bon Air pool, dances at Bon Air Community Center....

All those memories and more flooded over me earlier this week as I paused in the middle of a busy life to reflect on what has been a good and a continually changing life. When a door closes, a window opens and that has certainly been true for me as I leap at the opportunity to learn new skills and plow ahead with life.

And to think all those rambling thoughts and memories came from three encounters with three who knew me when I was a kid. Can you just imagine if I caught up with many of the other 500 fellow graduates? I could be daydreaming for weeks!

Update: Bob's new post ... "Putting Life Back in Focus ... Yes, it requires looking away from your computer" ... highlights a shift in priorities as they gear up for a wedding....

4 comments:

Mike said...

Cool new look.
I have about 30 members of my high school class as Facebook friends. Just in time for our 30th reunion.

Joy Jackson said...

Wow, big change!

We saw all the bridal party out on the sidewalk and W. Beverley having photos taken this evening. What a beautiful group of young people. Must have been a truly lovely wedding.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Mike, thanks for the thumbs-up on the site.

There is no way you have been out of high school for 30 years! You don't look old enough!

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Joy, I'm still tinkering with the blog design but it was time to update.

There were 20 young people in that wedding party including the bride and groom. They had a wonderful weekend together.