Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Are we still persecuting smokers?

I am sitting at my desk in an air-conditioned house listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio with a lamp illuminating my keyboard. Surely I must be breaking a law somewhere ... because what else could explain this?

Does anyone remember when Montgomery County, Maryland (home of Bethesda), tried to pass the law that would have prohibited people from smoking in their own homes if the smoke could be smelled by a neighbor?

Qualifier: I don't smoke and never have. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. With that said, trying to legislate smoking in this way is ridiculous and I would join others in being outraged at adding more stupid laws to the books. Americans cannot walk down the street without tripping over a nanny-state law.

H/T Riley at Virginia Virtucon

No comments: