Friday, January 25, 2013

Dianne Feinstein: Guns for me, not for thee

"I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me."
- U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-CA (April 27, 1995)



In 1995, California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein testified:
Less than twenty years ago I was the target of a terrorist group. It was the New World Liberation Front. They blew up power stations and put a bomb at my home when my husband was dying of cancer. And the bomb didn't detonate. [...] I was very lucky. But, I thought of what might have happened. Later the same group shot out all the windows of my home. [...] And, I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I'd walk to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me."
As noted by Marooned In Marin:
But today, Dianne Feinstein doesn't want law abiding citizens to have that ability. Because, just like after 9/11, law abiding Americans must be punished, either by Obama's thuggish TSA, or by liberals who think you cannot be trusted to own and use a firearm to protect yourself.  And as has been said, when someone breaks into your home, you only have seconds to act, while it will take a few minutes for the police to arrive.
The Other McCain wrote:
Just two days after the Dec. 14 shooting that killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary, Feinstein said on NBC’s Meet the Press that she would introduce a bill to "ban the sale, the transfer, the transportation and the possession" of certain semi-automatic weapons, as well as of “big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets.” Feinstein was a leading proponent of the so-called “assault weapons ban” that Congress and then-President Clinton enacted in 1994, but which expired in 2004.
Read more from David Frum about Feinstein's gun control proposals.

No comments: