Saturday, June 07, 2008

Kurt Michael resigns at 6th Congressional District meeting


Dr. Kurt Michael

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help."
Psalm 121

Augusta County Chairman Dr. Kurt Michael handed in his resignation to 6th Congressional District Chairman Fred Anderson Saturday during the quarterly meeting held in Lexington. Addressing the meeting, Kurt spoke of his love for the Party during his 17 years as a volunteer, working to elect conservative candidates and recruit volunteers.

At the conclusion of his remarks, he received a standing ovation from the entire 6th District Congressional Committee including Congressman Bob Goodlatte.

After his announcement, I addressed the meeting to speak of Kurt's good work during his five years as Augusta County GOP Chairman:
I could not let Kurt leave without saying a few words about him. I have served as his Vice Chairman of Communications the past five years.

Kurt Michael took a Committee that was bare bones, on auto-pilot, was practically dormant ... and he immediately began building infrastructure, recruiting volunteers, and filling positions. He fulfilled the LG/AG/RPV/GOP Challenge doubling the committee size five years ago! He recruited conservative candidates.

He stood up for issues of interest to the community, people who would approach him and ask, "Can the Republicans help with this?" That was because they knew we were organized and could put those skills to work. And he was principled and believed in the issues they brought to him.

When Weekday Religious Education was threatened in Staunton in 2005, Kurt was approached and asked if he could help. It was saved.

During 2006 he organized 40 SWAC area churches to help pass the Marriage Amendment.

Last Fall when an adult business opened in Staunton, people in the community again called on Kurt to help. With his help ordinances were passed in Staunton in November 2007, and then he followed through to help get the same ordinances passed in Augusta County in March 2008.

He has spent the past year in the spotlight of the newspapers constantly under attack simply because he supported the challenger instead of the incumbent in last year's 24th Senatorial District primary. There were six other chairs in the 24th District who stood with him to support Scott Sayre in that race but, for some reason, Kurt became the targeted one to take the most heat.

I disagree with Kurt's decision to step down ... and we have been at loggerheads over that decision. But I support him in what he feels is best for the Party.

As the Augusta Free Press wrote this week, Kurt's stepping down is "bad news for the GOP but good news for the Dems." And that came from the Democrat chairman of Waynesboro.

The good news is he is not going away. Thank you, Kurt, for all your work as Chairman.
I do not know what the Big Plan is in what has occurred ... but I know there is a Plan. Still, that does not lessen the feeling of sadness I have in this entire episode.

As I was driving back from Lexington after today's 3 1/2 hour meeting, I was lost in thought over it all ... and so I kept driving until I was at the top of Afton Mountain. I am at peace in the mountains but the feeling of sadness lingered. It will take some time.

As I addressed the 6th District Committee this afternoon, both on Kurt's behalf when he resigned and during another issue that was before the Committee, I could not help but remember a day when I was so terrified of public speaking that I would not say a word in front of an assembled group.

I owe the fact I overcame that fear to two people -- Nate Salatin, one of my home school teens who taught me public speaking -- and Kurt Michael.

Kurt is a governor school teacher ... and his students love him. They call him "Dr. Mike." Teaching is second nature to him ... and so he has been my teacher and mentor the past six years.

And he has been my friend. In politics, that is a rare commodity because human nature pulls most people to the power, or the money, or something that will make them betray even those who helped them win public office or pulled them into the inner circle of leadership. Climbing that ladder of ambition makes some forget who their friends were at the beginning. Some fail to even recognize his hand in laying the foundation for what they now have.

Five years is an eternity in political years ... but Kurt and I still work well together ... the two political junkies who cannot get enough of talking politics.

Kurt has been there ... guiding, advising, leading. He is happiest in the background out of the spotlight. He pushes others forward allowing them to receive the accolades. He is demanding but fair, and sometimes brutally honest with candidates and fellow volunteers. He is a leader.

And so it's over. For now. His detractors will gloat; the Democrats will celebrate. But Kurt's not going anywhere.

To Kurt I say ... thank you, Friend.

My two favorite guys ... SWAC Husband and Kurt.


Photos by SWAC Girl

No comments: