Sunday, August 03, 2008

Redskins news: "My best friend...."

With those words, Darrell Green's son introduced his dad to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

It was a stirring moment. When a son provides the introduction for his dad and uses the words, "my best friend," someone has done something right. When that dad breaks down in tears during his speech talking about the importance of his parents' impact on his life, someone has done something right.

Last night's induction ceremony in Canton, Ohio, was a Redskin Riot consisting of a sea of caps, shirts, pig snouts, and almost everything Redskin.

Ceremony aside, it was family that shone through. As Paul Woody in the Richmond Times-Dispatch wrote:
Tippett, Dean and Zimmerman all chose team owners as their introductory speakers. Green, Monk and Thomas each gave the honor to their sons. None was more moving than that by Derek Thomas, who suggested his dad finally let everyone know how good he was before breaking down as he tried to announce his dad's name.

"My dad always used to give me and my sister advice. Like most kids, we didn't always follow that advice," he said. "A piece of advice he gave me once was never make athletes your heroes because they make mistakes, too. I guess I didn't follow that advice very well. I'd like to introduce you to my hero, my mentor, my father, Emmitt Thomas."
Mr. Woody praised the work ethic of Redskins Green and Monk:
"They studied and executed the game plan. They put the team first. As players, they were active in the community. As retired players, they remain active in their community.

"And there was never a hint of trouble surrounding them, never a time when their coaches had to worry about reading their names on the police blotter."
That is an example not just for sports but for life in general. They both credited their parents for instilling that work ethic in them, and for their encouragement. When Green was told he was too small to play, his dad told him he could really run the ball and to go for it. Monk's inspiration came from parents who worked hard ... he learned from their example.

It would appear those principled men have passed it on to their sons. Congratulations and, oh yes, all hail the Redskins!

No comments: