Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day 2012: The feast has been consumed


It's done. Finished. Over. The Father's Day feast has been consumed and everyone left the table satisfied. Seems the food choices were a-okay.

Rib eye steaks are my favorite on the grill. I went to Martin's grocery store yesterday thinking we would grill center-cut pork chops ... and then I saw the rib eyes were on sale. There was no question at that point what was going to be on today's menu. I picked out six juicy steaks to add to the other dinner items and, when I got home, covered them to marinade and put in the refrigerator.

Fresh corn-on-the-cob was a must and today I roasted it in the oven since the grill was full of steaks. It was easy ... pull back the shucks and get rid of the silk, then pull husks back up on ears and lay on the rack in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. That's it, and they're extra tasty. The husks are then pulled down and used as a handle to eat the corn.

Deviled eggs are one of SWAC Husband's favorites so I made up a bunch of those topped with a dash of red cayenne pepper for color.  Caramelized onions and red peppers were cooked on the stove for the steaks. Fresh steamed broccoli rounded it out and was wolfed down by my crew.

I sliced fresh strawberries for dessert, and SWAC Daughter baked homemade chocolate chip cookies. It was good food and great family time all around.

The crack of a baseball bat can be heard in the back yard ... the kids are enjoying some time together. They're in their 20s now but some things never change. Father's Day 2012 is now on kick-back mode ... time to relax.

No comments: