Monday, October 02, 2006

Blogs: Responsible journalism?

There's a discussion going on at another blog about bloggers and responsibility and anonymous personas and the reason people blog.

Here at SWAC Girl I blog so I will have a voice to counter what I consider to be irresponsible mainstream media. The media have pushed a liberal agenda the past 30 years that has been eagerly lapped up by a willing public that lost its sense of responsibility and took the lazy way out by letting the media make their decisions for them. It was easier than researching and finding answers for themselves.

Until Rush Limbaugh broke through and then other conservatives followed, there was little rebuttal to this form of propaganda. There was no voice for how conservatives felt about issues other than a restricted 300-word LTE or other media-controlled response.

In 1996 I made myself watch the Democrat Convention so I would know exactly what happened and what was said. Sure enough, the TV pundiffs "translated" it for us ignorant-types afterwards and it was NOT what I had seen; they put their own interpretation on it.

That is why I blog. Many people know who SWAC Girl is so I try to blog responsibly. In the past there was no way to vent about the lack of stories carried in local newspapers but now I have this forum.

Along with the freedom of blogging comes the reality that there are nuts out there. My blog had unmonitored comments when I began; I've received some downright nasty comments so I moderate. I also refuse to give a forum for libs who are trolling and looking for yet another blog to post their version of "War and Peace." Find another spot.

The ideal would be for journalists to be unbiased and put the facts out about both sides of an issue and keep their personal opinions to themselves. I could take every news story and find the other side. We learn it in debate, we learn it in journalism, we learn it in life. There's two sides to every issue.

Now that conservatives have an outlet for their opinions, many have said we are frightingly split in this country. The bottom line is we are all Americans.

Don't bash my country, don't bash my flag, don't bash my Christianity, and don't bash my soldiers.

That's why we're separated. I'm not going to give one inch on those issues ... and neither are they.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have hit the nial on the head. Please continue to blog and spread the truth about what goes on and how people really feel about the issues.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a nut, but I have to disagree with you. Bloggers are not journalists. Journalists are colleged trained, have strict ethical standards and have editors to vet their work. I admire the blogosphere, but it's not journalism. Mike M.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

I beg to disagree with you. "College-trained" has little to do with good journalists, and they do NOT necessarily have strict ethical standards. Puh-leeze! And sometimes the editors are worse than the journalists; we've had proof of that at the local level where they have chopped stories without notifying the reporter even when asked to do so.