Monday, November 03, 2008

Mom at the Sarah Palin Rally in Henrico!!

My 81-year-old mother waved her "Chick" sign at Saturday's Sarah Palin rally in Henrico County. To those who think Republican women are offended by these signs, talk to my mom. She was a professional business woman all her life but she loves her "Chick" sign. Too many are eager to be offended by something.


Here is Mom's update about the Sarah Palin Rally on November 1, 2008, in Henrico County. Even now that they are in their 80s, my folks are still out campaigning, putting up signs, working the polls.... Mom also got a chance to talk with my delegate, Chris Saxman, who was at the rally.
Lynn, we went to church (Sunday), came home and changed clothes and went to Arby's for lunch - then we went out and replaced the GOP signs that were taken last night and put out new ones along the way. Two men who live on Robious Road saw us and chased us down so they could get signs to put in front of their houses, thus, we added two more addresses to our list.

About the Palin rally: I decided about 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon that since it was such a nice day (71 degrees at that time) we should go to the rally. Cal was in the midst of doing some painting so by the time we left it was 5 o'clock. He was sure we would never get in and that it would all be chaos, none of which happened.

The rally was in the football field of Deep Run High School in Henrico County (near Innsbrook, where thousands of people parked and were shuttled in on buses). We parked at the elementary school and walked about a quarter of a mile across the road from the high school. We stood in line for about half an hour but it was constantly moving and we were visiting with all of the other people in the line, so it moved right along......and I can keep moving easier than just standing in one spot.

When we went through the gates we were being directed toward the stage where Sarah would be and where we would have to stand. A middle-age man pulled us out of the group and told us he was sending us to the bleachers, which I told Cal was either because of our "Chick" signs OR because we are old! Whatever, I was thrilled that we would have a place to sit. Another man walked with us and found two places for us to sit.

The workers were passing out boxes and boxes of red/white/blue pom poms and all of the people standing around the stage, as well as the ones of us in the bleachers, were waving them, cheering and singing along with the music. Even in the bleachers, most of us were on our feet!

I like the excitement of being in the stands with the people. I was waving my chick sign over my head, in time with the rock music. About 15 minutes later, a man came over and told me they wanted Cal and me to move over to the middle of the stands, right behind where Sarah would be standing, which we did.

I was waving my sign and pom poms. Everyone in the stands - and down in front of us around the stage - were loving my Chick sign and cheering for it. As a matter of fact, I could have SOLD it a hundred times while we were in the line and after we were up in the bleachers.

Many, many times I had to tell the story of how Tom Sheets, the owner of the Blue Ridge Lumber Company, had started the "Chick" phenomenon in the Shenandoah Valley. Everybody was taking pictures of me and my sign.

There was one other "Chick" sign but it was in the middle of a group of people standing off to the left side of the stage. At one point, I was finally able to see that a young woman was holding it - both of us realized that we had connected, so we were waving our signs with one hand and waving at each other with the other hand. It was so much fun! It was the greatest time I have had in a long time!!!

I am not sure how many people were there but they said they were expecting 10,000 but there were more than that here long before the program started. I just know there was a big crowd but it was well organized and handled well. Henrico County police know how to handle large crowds because they deal with the RIR [Richmond International Raceway] crowds all of the time.

Half a dozen Obama supporters (a couple wearing Obama buttons) were right down in front of me, at the back of the people who were standing. They were spotted, word was passed along that if they started anything we were to shout USA. I asked a Secret Service fellow which ones they were and he said "the ones who look like they are mad" - and he was absolutely right, because they really looked angry! That made us cheer even louder!! They knew the Secret Service was watching them and that all of us were looking at them and before long, they moved out and left without causing any problem that I heard of. It is hard to believe democrats are such an angry bunch whose primary goal appears to be to vandalize and destroy what others have! One word describes most of them - ANTAGONISTIC!

Onward and upward!

Love, Mom
Told you I didn't fall far from the political tree in my family! Our enthusiasm buoys us all ... you should hear the talk around the dinner table when we all get together! We love President George W. Bush and are proud of him and are respectful and thankful for his leadership and safety of the citizens of this country, something he promised to do after the terrorism attacks of 9/11.

Family ... got to love it! Go McCain-Palin!

2 comments:

Misfit410 said...

Great Story,

The words of you mother should teach us all a big lesson, especially with how McCain is being treated by Obama and his fanatics over the issue of his age. There is nothing in this world that should more respected, valued and admired than the wisdom that comes with age.

AmPowerBlog said...

Say it ain't so, Lynn, on VA going to the Dems...

Have a good election day, whatever happens. It's the feast of democracy.